Sorry, still no pictures. Ben's first week of school went well for us all. I did get to see him a little more than I usually will because he didn't have any labs this week. Kennady is sick. I hate it. She woke up Friday morning coughing and by that afternoon all her coughing and the few times of throwing up prompted me to call the doctor. Well, our doctor works in Wyoming on Friday, so we couldn't get her in, but we did get her cough medicine prescription refilled. I hope she just gets feeling better, but if not it is to the doctor's first thing Monday.
Friday I cooked all day. You see I told my sister and her husband to come up for their birthday dinners, and I asked her what she wanted for dinner: chicken cordon bleu, mashed potatoes, baked beans and spice cake with homemade cream cheese frosting. I started out with the cake. I did two square cakes, because I wanted it to be pretty and those were the only two semi-matching pans that I have. Well, lo and behold, the cakes stuck. Luckily I was able to piece them back together. However, all that piecing didn't leave enough cake intact for me to level the cakes, so when I stacked them they were lopsided and had a huge gap between the two layers. Don't worry, I just filled it with frosting. Lots of frosting. It was still an extremely ugly cake. I called it the retard cake (how terribly un PC of me) and put a sprinkle star on it. Kendra loved it.
And then onto chicken cordon bleu. Something I have never made before. Mostly because I don't like it, or at least I thought I didn't like it. Turns out I've just never had good chicken cordon bleu before. Ben kindly beat the chicken to death for me with a hammer. RIP plastic cutting board. And then there were mashed potatoes, so many that the boiling fogged up every window in our apartment and created an extraordinary cloud when the front door was opened. Sadly, between Ben and I both working on dinner and taking care of Kennady, we both thought the other had put the milk in the mashed potatoes. So we had baked potatoes, mashed up. The baked beans? Well, I got the recipe from a talking dog. Dinner was fun and then we played Ticket to Ride and video conferenced my folks. Kendra and Nathan left and Ben and I returned to the kitchen to face the horrific mess. I'm pretty sure every dish we own was dirty. Just as we finished loading and started the dishwasher, Kennady woke up (around 10:30).
Poor girl was coughing and wheezing and just miserable. We tried to make her comfortable. After she calmed down and was feeling pretty good (playing) I went to bed and Ben stayed up with her until she finally fell asleep at 1:30. We all slept in until 11 today. Well, Kennady slept until noon. We realized we were going to have to cancel our plans to attend the temple, because we didn't want to get two other little kids sick. And then I thought to call a few people, and finally found someone who could come to our apartment to watch her. It was way too cold to take her outside with her being so congested. Chrissy, a friend from Branson, came over. Kennady loved her! She didn't cry at all while we were gone and despite feeling so bad just played and had to show her all her toys. We came home to a happy baby and the wonderful surprise of a clean kitchen! Wow. Best babysitter ever. (No offense to anyone else, we LOVE all of our babysitters!) And then Ben was off to work. Kennady watched Ratatouille and snuggled before I got her down to bed. It's been a pretty good day!
Oh, needless to say, my goal of getting this apartment super clean this weekend is not going to happen. I would much rather snuggle my sick baby back to health while watching cartoons.
1 comment:
I hate having a sick baby! It makes me so sad! I hope kennady is doing better and doesn't end up with croup. I hate just hate that stuff.
Best of luck on week two of school and I hope you three find to to rest.
Post a Comment