Monday, January 25, 2010

Fail

Today has been a giant failure. It started last night when Ben went to check on Kennady and make sure she was covered up. She woke up. We spent several hours trying to get her back to sleep. See we'd gone to bed at 9, hoping to get extra rest, ended up talking for an hour and a half, which made it 10:30, still early for us to go to bed. I have no idea what time it was when we finally got to bed, but I couldn't keep my eyes open, and I know we watched Merry Madagascar at least 2 1/2 times.

Today I had several errands to run. The first was to the Kimball building on campus. Uhg. So after 30 minutes of driving around in the snow (which means even less parking because no one can see the lines and everyone parks like idiots), Kennady decides she's had enough (so had I). I finally just decide to be an idiot and park in a spot that probably isn't a real spot (hey, it's covered in snow, so how do I know what color the curb is? it looks white to me), cross my fingers that I won't get a parking ticket (which I was immediately planning to protest with my screaming child in tow), and start hauling Kennady across the street and parking lot (this parking spot wasn't exactly close). All because I can't park in visitor parking because Ben is a student. I'm not a student. I am a visitor and I should be able to park within a 100 yards of the building. And I am an alumna. See if I ever give them any money.

So I get to the financial aid office. All this because they took Ben's SMART grant off for summer. I tried calling, and whoever I talked to told me it was because he isn't eligible and had no explanation as to why. So I go through the whole routine of giving them Ben's information (Kennady is not screaming, but clearly on the verge) and they tell me they can't give me any information because we haven't filled out the Privacy form. Um, yes, we have. Nope, not in the computer. Well, then go check your hard copies, because it's there. The guy just looks at me. I'm not sure we have hard copies. Well, then why did I have to fill out a form and sign it? How about I just ask you a few personal questions about Ben. He does, I get them all right. Then his coworker comes over and says that I don't have the privacy release. I glare at her and tell her I do but they've lost it in the last 3 months since the last time I was in the office, when it was on the computer. She decides to take my word for it.

Then I proceed to tell him why I have trekked to the Kimball in the snow with my fussy baby. He's like, "That's weird, I don't know why it would do that." Yah, me neither. So then he starts looking nervously around the office. Well, both of the people that could help you with that aren't here. Can you tell me when they will be here? Well, they have a lot of meetings trying to learn the new computer system, so they are in and out, so just check back in later sometime. Um, it took me 30 minutes to find a parking spot and I have kid who is not cooperating, so unless you can tell me when they will be here, I'm going to need some other way to talk to them. Here's their email addresses and direct phone numbers. Thanks.

Luckily for the parking department there is no ticket on my car. Yeah, I'd like to see them try to enforce it without any signs.

Then to the health department, where I am hoping to get a copy of Kennady's birth certificate, which we need before we can do about 3 other things on my list of things to do. Drag Kennady in. No, they don't have them in the office. No, there is no where you can go to get them. You have to fill out a form and mail it it. Where do I get one of these forms? Uhm....maybe on the internet? You don't have any here in the office? Well, maybe we do somewhere, but I'd have to make a photocopy. Oh, ok, well that would be great. It took her less than 30 seconds to find the form. I look at the form. They want a photocopy of my driver's license. Could you make a photocopy for me? No. I don't mind paying. No. Thanks.

Then to the bank. They gladly and quickly take my money. Success.

To the grocery store. The cookie bribe only worked for 5 minutes, it took me 7 to get in and out the the store. It would help if they had more than two lanes open. And then I forgot my groceries, because Kennady was screaming and I guess the bagger didn't feel like putting them into my cart. Don't worry, I didn't get all the way out the door without them. It took me 10 minutes to get my thrashing child into her car seat.

Oh yes, and it is only noon. And I think today I may cheat and skip my workout. I know I am terrible. But this place is a disaster and if I had one hour without Kennady (either awake and running around or sleeping so not soundly) I think I could make our apartment sparkle. Well, and least I could make it not scary. And I would feel so much less crazy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speed clean that's a good workout right?

Amberly said...

With a day like that, I'd sit on the couch with a bag of chocolate and not even feel guilty for not working out. A heightened stress level burns more calories, right?