Thursday, January 7, 2010

I Almost Forgot...

We survived another year! 2009 was a pretty good year. It's crazy to look back on the year and think of all the things we did and didn't do. Here is my New Year's Resolution's list from last year: (thank goodness for Blogger archives)

1. Lose 35 lbs.
2. Work out for 20 minutes twice a week
3. Soda is only for special events (and I'm not allowed to make up special events)
4. Enjoy all the moments with my little girl- she grows so fast!
5. Snack on healthy foods
6. Eat at least 3 meals a day
7. Find quality time to spend with my husband

Here is my commentary:

1. Well, I can't seem to remember what I weighed at the beginning of last year. But I think the 35 lbs came from losing all my baby weight plus 10 lbs. That would mean I lost 15 lbs last year. Ok, a little shy of the mark. But I found it impossible to lose weight while I was breastfeeding, which everyone else seems to think should make it easier to lose weight. But she ate a lot and very frequently, giving me nothing to do except sit around and feed the kid, and it made me very hungry. That 15 lbs that I did lose has been all in the last 3 months.
2. Um, well, we know that I didn't do this one, or else I probably would have accomplished resolution #1. I will give myself credit for running this summer. Ok, so maybe it wasn't consistent, but it's more running than I've ever done in my life, and I hate running.
3. I don't remember how much soda I drank this year. I know that I've only bought 1 2-liter of soda since we've lived in Idaho. I'd say this resolution was a success, because I very rarely drink soda anymore.
4. I've had lots of little moments with my little girl and she has grown so fast. I can say that I enjoyed almost all of them. I get to spend a lot of time with that little monkey and she always is doing something to make me smile, even if it's getting into trouble. I love having a 14 month old (however exhausting it may be). It's way better than little babies who poop and cry and eat and not much else.
5. Snack on healthy foods. I've done pretty good at this one, because now Kennady eats snacks and I try to make them relatively healthy. And I don't eat her fruit snacks (probably the most unhealthy snack she eats) because they are disgusting. That's why I buy the cheap kind.
6. Eat at least 3 meals a day. I think I am a winner at this one. I've done much better about eating all 3 meals. It helps that Kennady has to eat 3 meals. I even eat breakfast.
7. I've found quality time with Ben and have enjoyed every minute of it.

So 5 out of 7 isn't so bad, is it?

This year's resolutions?

1. Lose another 15 lbs. Then maybe I could fit into my favorite pair of jeans. Although I'm not counting on it, because I had a kid and those may never fit, no matter how much weight I lose.

2. Keep my house tidier. I've been doing really well this week. It helps that Kennady likes to help (well, sometimes that hurts...but I won't squelch her helping instinct). If I can get it really clean just once (I'm hoping by the end of this weekend), then spend 1 hour every day, I can keep this place clean, and it will make me happier.

3. Not stress so much. We are poor college students and I am a stay at home mom and it will probably be like this for the next 5 years. So I'll do what I can and not worry about the rest.

4. Stick to our budget. I am finding the attitude of "We can't afford it" and "We don't need it." It helps to think of how many times I will have to move anything we buy in the next couple of years. It's even made me start selling things, which is very satisfying.

5. No whining to Ben about how much he is gone. One, I think this will help him do better in school (more studying without worrying about me= higher grades). Two, he's only working to provide for our family's basic needs, not because he's on a power trip (how much power does a man handing out shorts and shirts in a locker room have?) and not to fund our lavish expenditures. Besides, when he starts med school, I'll probably see him even less, so I should get used to it. However, let it be known that he owes me one big fat trip to some tropical locale of my choosing when he finally gets to actually practicing medicine, and I don't think he'll disagree with me on this one. P.S. I am allowed to occasionally whine on the blog. If you disagree with my rules, tough, start your own blog.

6. Breaks are breaks. Meaning whenever Ben has a break from school, we are going to spend it together, the 3 of us (or maybe two if we can get away with it), relaxing and having fun. No hectic, spendy escapades across the country to visit family, even for holidays. This one makes me a little sad, because I love our family. We would, however, love visits from friends and family at any time and don't be too worried because Ben graduates in July!

Alright, now I am hungry and need lunch. So There will be no number 7 this year.

No comments: