Saturday, October 25, 2008

Our Trio

Alright, now I am more awake and functioning a little better. I will post more pictures soon, because she is just so cute. It just takes a lot of time to get them off the camera, and time is something I don't seem to have enough these days- that and sleep. We've all been having fun getting used to our little one. She's acquired more nicknames than anyone over the last few days. Grandma calls her Little Pumpkin. I no longer call her a fatty, she is tiny! We were all very surprised at how small she was. You'll see in the next few pictures that she is much smaller now than when she was born. We don't have any clothes that fit her!! That will change quickly I am sure.

I call her my Little Monster. You should see the fingers on this kid, they are the longest fingers I have ever seen. I'll get a picture. And her big eyes! Either she is so alert and awake or she is totally dead to the world. She's a eater. The first night, instead of sleeping like most other just born babies, she ate. And the second night. And then the third day she stopped eating and al she would do is sleep. We kept trying to wake her up and get her to eat and she just wouldn't, so we eventually had to give her food through a syringe, it was so sad. And she got all jaundicy. But then we got home and all she wanted to do was eat and eat and eat. I eventually figured out what the problem was. The only pain medication I had after the baby was Ibuprofen and Tylenol with codine, alternately so I wouldn't feel like dying. At some point the alternating got messed up and they were taken too close together, leaving me no relief for 6 hours. Somewhere around 3 in the morning the nurse came in and handed me some pain medication, as I was taking them I thought, wait, what are these? Vicodin was the answer. Luckily I had only taken 1 and refused the other one. Vicodin makes me very sleepy. And my baby has the same problem. Newborns and vicodin don't mix. Now she eats like a champ, the nurses told me she is a cluster feeder. She eats every hour for 45 minutes for 6 or so hours and then she'll sleep for a long time. Or she would, except that because she is so little I have to wake her up after 4 hours and feed her.

We also refer to her as our Little Monkey. I'll put a picture of her feet on here and then you will understand. She got Ben's monkey toes, they are, in fact, a dominant trait. The thing that is really funny though is she got Ben's monkey toes and my super long feet. Poor child, she will never have shoes that fit.

We also call her Princess, after her uncle Dustin. She is insanely spoiled. She hates to sleep on her back. Which, as we all know, is the only safe way for a baby to sleep, unless you are holding her. She gets held a lot. We did discover a trick though, one that we had to hide from the nurses. I am sure it makes me a terrible mother. She'll sleep a lot better with a pacifier. We discovered this when she was 2 days old, around 4 am, when neither Ben or I had slept in 2 days. The nurses told us not to give her a pacifier for at least 2 weeks. Oops. Don't worry, she still eats, plenty.

I think we are starting to get into a groove and hopefully I figure out how to sleep instead of hovering over her to make sure she is still breathing. I will be sad when Mom is gone, I think we will have to figure out a new groove then.

1 comment:

Rob & Kristi Nelson said...

OK so I read your blog backwards! what can I say. I saw the pictures first! But I just had to say I hate nurses and their weird rules! Russell had a Binky with in the first hour of his life. He still eats just fine. I don't understand why they think a baby would prefer to suck on a Binky rather than eat. I rather eat when I am hunger. OK theirs my two cents!