Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Wait . . . What?!

Our apartment is very nearly finished being unpacked. Yay! The goal is to have it completely unpacked by tomorrow in time for dinner. And if not by then, then definitely by Thursday at 8 p.m. when our new bishopric stops by for a visit. But with the end of one project comes the start of another. The problem is that there are so many things that I could do that I am having a hard time deciding what to do next. I could finish the baby blanket. This would probably only take an hour or so. I could start to reupholster our new free rocker/glider. (I found this chair on the side of the road, convinced a neighbor to haul it to our apartment, and then had my talented husband fix it. It's still missing an arm and the cushions are pretty scary. But, hey, free). This would require a sewing machine, which I've been wanting to buy anyways, it's just hard to actually spend the money to do it. Plus, where would I put a sewing machine when it's not being used? I could make that photo book of all our pictures from the last year/Alaska. This one is a little more time intensive. I really want to decorate the baby's room. There are a few snags on this one. First, the baby will probably never actually sleep in the baby's room, because she will only be a month or so old when we move. Second, most of the cute ideas that I have involve using the baby's name. Our baby is still nameless. There are many more projects that I could attempt to tackle, but I think those are at the top of my list.

So as I was trying to think of what to do next, I had a moment of realization. I'm 30 weeks pregnant. That means I have 6 weeks (on the safe side) to get everything done that I ever wanted to get done before I had a baby. Ok, so I know that going to Hawaii in the next 6 weeks is not going to happen. But I know that once she's here, I won't have time to do anything. So if I want it done, it needs to get done now. Continuing with the realization... wait . . . what? I am going to have a baby? What am I going to do with a baby? And then as this child kept me from sleeping for the better part of last night with her kung fu moves, I was wondering how she even fits in there. I was even more confused when I got out the tape measure. She should be around 15 inches long now. I kind of felt bad, because that can't be comfortable, although I'm sure she is much more flexible than I. Still continuing with the realization, she'll grow another 5 inches and add on at least 3 more pounds (grossly underestimating, we all know I won't have a 6 lbs. baby). And then, the finale, wait . . . what? She has to come out? This is starting to sound like a bad idea. Quick, I need something else to keep me busy and keep my mind off the terrible details of labor that everyone seems so anxious to tell me about. (If you are one of those people, please, kindly, stop. I prefer ignorance, really, I promise).

2 comments:

Brown's said...

I think you will do fine with child labor! Seriously, dont listen to the other comments that might scare you. The truth is that every person is different and so is every delivery. Everybody told me about how horrible everything was and it was actually fairly easy! Just think of how many women have given birth for the last 2000 years! It's really not all that bad.:)

Jeff said...

Thank you for sharing with us the thoughts of a pregnant worman. Really, this is seriously helpful from a guy's point of view. You see, we can only think about one thing at a time, and when you write your thoughts out you can't write them as you think them because you cannot write in multiple layers. You are forced to write them linearly so we can understand them.

"Wait...What?!" as I read on I kept thinking about the first time I flew a plane without my instructor. Shortly after takeoff, once I was committed... Wait... What? I'm sure they are not the least bit comparable, but it did give me some fram of refference.

And congradulations on the addition to your family.