Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Tale of the Purple People Eater and the World's Most Expensive Potato Gun

This is me at 30 1/2 weeks. I think I can count half weeks. Those are my new glasses that I got a few months ago. I am really behind on getting pictures taken and posted. And no, I wasn't referring to myself as a purple people eater. This picture has nothing to do with the rest of this entry, it is merely to humor my mother.
This is the Purple People Eater. Ok, it doesn't have one eye or one horn and it doesn't fly unless thrown. But I think it probably could make you have one eye- just look at all those warning labels. And maybe it doesn't eat people, but it does eat other things. And now for the rest of the story.

Ben likes to make things go boom. He decided a potato gun would do the trick. This potato gun started at Twin Lakes, where it failed to make any boom. The plan was modified and the potato gun reattempted on our camping trip, only there were a few vital pieces missing. Last night Ben decided (notedly against his wife's advice) to finish the potato gun at 9:30 p.m. "It will only take a minute." Granted, Kendra and Nathan were here and potato guns are much more fun to work on with other men. It's a man thing I guess. Wife (that's me) requested that said potato gun stay outside the apartment, because things going boom inside is not her idea of a good time. Husband obliged wife and kept potato gun outside. Wife was very surprised when the potato gun was finished in short amount of time and no one lost a limb.

Kendra and Nathan left and we started to get ready for bed. I thought the apartment stunk, like glue or something. Ben first washed his hands, thinking it was on him, then took out the trash, thinking it was the paper towel or something he threw away with the primer on it. And then we found this:Umm, yes, that is the Purple People Eater. And, yes, that is the floor in the pantry. And, yes, the floor is vinyl. It is a very pretty color of purple though. Now in this story the Purple People Eater doesn't eat people; it eats vinyl. See the bright white spot right below the red toolbox? That's floor underneath the vinyl. And, lucky us, the floor in the pantry is connected to the floor in the kitchen, the front doorway and the laundry closet, and there are no seams in sight. I bet you never knew a potato gun could cost more than a rifle.

And, to top things off, the smell only got worse, permeating the whole apartment. I didn't think it was very good for me, or my unborn child. Greg and Kandice were gracious enough to let us sleep on an air mattress in their living room last night while we let the place air out.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Congrats on 30.71428571428571428571428571428571 weeks! Sorry to hear about the evac, though I immagine the "air mattress made all the difference." But please enlighten us on what happened that the primer ended up on the floor.