Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Things I Never Thought I'd Hear

Yesterday I had another doctor's appointment, this was the follow up to the glucose test and the high blood pressure that was a bit of a concern at the last visit. When I took the glucose tolerance test (that was a bad day) I was told I barely passed and the thought of having a 10 lbs. baby was enough to scare me into doing something that I always have wanted to do, but never been able to summon enough willpower to actually do- start eating healthy. I started keeping a daily food journal where I kept track of everything I ate, and how many calories, calories from fat, carbs, sugar, fiber and protein it contained. I even went back and added in those several handfuls of Lucky Charms out of guilt. I stocked up on things like vegetables, meat and sugarless foods. I even passed up cheesecake with the help of my friend Kari, who showed me that sugar-free cheesecake pudding is nearly as good. There hasn't been a box of ice-cream in our freezer since we moved in, and I vowed when the box of Lucky Charms was gone I would go back to eating Kix.

Back to the doctors appointment. The first thing, and the most dreaded, of any doctors appointment is stepping on the scale. Even though you know you are supposed to be steadily gaining weight while pregnant, it doesn't make it any more enjoyable. I stepped on the scale and I couldn't believe my eyes. I won't tell you the actual number, because it's more than Ben weighs. But I'd lost 3 lbs. since the last visit. That's one of the many things on the list of things not to do in your 3rd trimester (camping is probably on there too). Everything else looked good, my blood pressure is back to normal. The doctor was a little concerned that my heart rate was at 110, until I explained I had walked there (mapquest tells me it's 1.9 miles). And then we had a little chat about my weight loss. He told me to eat more sugar. Including Lucky Charms and ice-cream. And more carbs. Hello potatoes. I didn't think doctors were allowed to tell you those things. I'm not sure who was more happy to hear it though, me or Ben. We went straight from the doctor's to Broulims where we ordered a Mindy Special from Craigo's (that's a pizza for those of you unfamiliar with Idahoan ways), and I didn't even limit myself to two slices. I regretted that, my stomach can't really hold more than two pieces at a time.

Now I have to figure out what to do with all this healthy stuff in my apartment.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

You're killing me! I was getting all excited for you. When I got married I transformed into a super nutrition guru because my then wife really wanted to lose weight. Shortly after that, we were both taking health/nutrition classes at college. Since that point, it is natural for me to eat a lot more whole grains, and vegetables. Now, I get really excited when people tell me that have started making small changes in their diets. You got my hopes up and then let me down. Sheesh. Give the healthy stuff a chance. Can the food all just get along?

Angeline said...

Potatoes and Lucky Charms, how lucky for you! Good luck on the eating healthier part of pregnancy, hope your feeling good other wise.