Monday, August 11, 2008

An Air Mattress Makes All the Difference

When the idea of camping came up, it sounded like a good idea, and then I remembered that I am seven months pregnant. We were invited to go with Greg & Kandice, Keith & Carolyn and Zach & Emily. So after much debating and changing our minds a thousand times, we decided to go, or at least Ben decided to go and I decided to humor him. Then I discovered we were camping in the middle of the desert. And I found out it was supposed to rain. I was a little less than thrilled, but said we could go for at least dinner and then decide from there. The drive out there was the worst. Hot, humid (well for Idaho) and no AC, plus I was already grouchy. The campsite was in the middle of the desert, but also near a small coldwater creek which had trees to provide shade. By the time we got there it was almost dark. So I told Ben to set up the tent while I fixed the hobo dinners. As soon as the tent got set up it started to rain. Then I was regretting setting up the tent at all. Dinner was good, although we ate it in the car because I was pretty sure being by the only trees for miles wasn't the safest thing amidst all the lightening. Ben was annoyed. It stopped raining after not too long, so we were able to sit around the campfire and talk until I was so tired I couldn't keep my eyes open. I think it was 9:30. I slept really well and for once wasn't hot all night long- I just didn't sleep all the way in my sleeping bag. We slept in until 7:30. Keith and Carolyn made everyone breakfast- sausage, bacon, eggs, pancakes, orange juice, fruit- it was good, too good, and I ate way too much. Ben spent the morning building a potato gun, until they realized they were missing a few vital parts. Then it was hike time. I was smart and said no thank you. So while they were making a steep hike up the mountain to check out a hole, I was fast asleep in the hammock. We stayed for lunch and a little longer, to let the boys play beaver in the creek. They made a pretty impressive dam, unfortunately it was too good for the tent that was too close. Then we left.

So camping wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Not my first choice for a relaxing weekend while pregnant, and I probably won't do it again, but not a disaster.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Cortney, it has been a while. I was e-mailing your mom through face book (Suprisingly enough) and she fwd me your blog. I have a friend you just got me into blogs and she's right that it's kind of like spying on people. Ah ha. I know what you are doing. Anyway. I am impressed, while at the same time bewildered, that you toughed out camping at seven months pregnant. My only question is, "did" the air matress make all the difference, our "would" an air martress have made all the difference.

Take care!

munyer jerk chicken said...

Wow... I'm impressed. I think it's cool that you'll be able to tell your baby all the cool stuff you did while you were pregnant!
p.s. your favorite neighbors in #29 moved out today. one too many times of throwing a cussing fit at the top of their lungs at 11 pm! Don't you miss this place?