Thursday, January 20, 2011

Why We're Not Leaving the House this Week

If you ever pray for patience...well, be careful what you wish for. Because you might end up with a kid. One that needs to be potty trained. A stubborn one. One that will use the potty when she thinks the incentive is worth it, or just wants to make a point. Example 1:

I made brownies for Ben when he went on his last medical school interview. Kennady and I were left to tackle dinner by ourselves. Kennady had a dinner meltdown and was refusing to eat her dinner, just because. I told her if she didn't eat her dinner she wouldn't get any brownies. This upset her, but not enough to convince her to eat her dinner. Later that night she was getting a bath and she proclaimed "Mommy, I have to go potty." I told her to hop out and go potty. She said "Go potty, get a treat." I said, "Yep, that's right." She said "Brownie?" I said she could have a brownie if she went potty. She hopped out of the tub and went potty, and promptly asked for her brownie. I was a little surprised, but did give her the brownie.

Not even 24 hours into potty training, and I'd very much like to quit. I have no backbone. I'm also out of clean panties, despite the load of laundry I've done, which I don't understand, because she only goes through 5 or 6 diapers a day. I'd prefer to not have 2 children in diapers. Maybe it would be easier to potty train the newborn?

Changing the subject- yesterday I found a sweet deal at Target. I love it when people buy things that are only available online and then return them to the store, because they are almost immediately marked down 60%. So I found a double sit and stand stroller for $85. Score. I really like it, but know I could make some money selling it. Not sure what to do. Also not sure if it will fit in the trunk. Not sure how we're going to get 2 car seats in the car either. Maybe we'll strap Kennady to the bumper.

2 comments:

The Ballard Family said...

I so feel your pain.
SO feel it. Both my older kids were horrific to potty train.
The good news that I have for you is this...everyone DOES eventually get potty trained, no matter how long it takes. So at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel. If, a very dim one when you're in the middle of all the clean-ups and the power struggles and the LAUNDRY. Ohhh the laundry.
Also, eventually the heavens smile down on you and give you one who's easy. Ben just potty trained a couple weeks ago. In like, one day. With almost no accidents. SO different than my other two.
You will make it. And someday you'll have an easy one. And someday Kennady will have a kid who's hard to potty train... :)
It's pretty easy to start dishing out the mother's curse pretty early on, isn't it? :)

snapjak said...

I vote bumper!!!! lol