Tuesday, January 18, 2011

New Rule

Today, I made up a new rule. I like to live my life Calvin and Hobbes style; I'm Calvin and life is Calvinball, I make up the rules as I go along, so I always win. Anyways...here's the rule:

I am no longer sharing any baby name ideas with anyone, save it be Ben. Ok, and my brother, Dustin, who's in Russia, because we only communicate sparsely via email. That, and I tell him I've already decided to name the baby Bruce, because he finds it extremely distressing, because he wanted to name his first son Bruce Wayne Ellis.

Strange new rule? You may think so. But I don't think my hormone-ridden body can handle another comment made about a name I may possibly be considering. I will (with Ben's permission, of course) name my child whatever I please (except a number, because the US government says no). And it really won't matter, because he'll be so stinking cute that after a few months you'll probably forget that you hate that name, and it won't even remind you of that one guy who stole your brother's girlfriend or pulled your pigtails in Kindergarten.

So if you happen to be one of those people that I told some of the names I like, just forget that I told you. And don't be offended if it was your innocuous comment that prompted this post. I'm positive it's a weird pregnancy symptom called irritability.

I'm still open to name suggestions, just don't ask me what his name is. You'll find out when I post it along with his picture on the blog :) Oh, and pass it on.

PS, if you do pester me until I give up and tell you a name, I'm going to make up a weird name, and then just wait for you to make a comment, and then burst out in tears. Just a warning. Don't mess with me today. Or any day for the next 4 months.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Brandon liked Magnas. And Gann...I don't know what we will do if we have a boy, but I think I will have to go with your rule. Even if you don't like those name, per se, you could always use them to enforce your new rule. Happy Irritability!

Stimpson Family said...

One of my best friends advised me to adopt this rule the day I told her I was pregnant. She wanted to name her son Oscar, but got so much negative feed back that it broke her heart.

Luckily with my son, we didn't know what to name him, and had too many ideas to share.

Feel free to say, even if it's a lie, "we haven't decided yet, we're going to wait until we meet him". Then it'll be on the birth certificate and no one (hopefully) is allotted any feedback.

Congrats! I'm so happy for you about the pregnancy. Good luck!

Amberly said...

This post made you even more adorable! One of the few good things about pregnancy: you can say and do whatever you want and chalk it up to those freaking hormones!

And I had to laugh at Stimpson's comment... Oscar is totally going to be our baby's middle name, and I don't care how much grief anyone gives me!

Rebekah said...

Stick with it! You should have seen what my sister went through trying to name her daughter Aspen (which, I think is a beautiful name, but whatev). And guess what, she still named her Aspen- which shut everyone up because it's hard to continue making fun once the little baby is actually here!

We have the same rule.

Rob & Kristi Nelson said...

so much for naming your baby "G1". That silly goverment what where they think when they made that rule.

I am sure you will pick a great name and have while you makes all way to hear it.

Tina Crowther said...

At least you can share with your husband. Brant's pretty tactful, but it's difficult for him to agree with any name, because he teaches school and coaches... "oH, we can't do that name, I had a student..." You get the idea.