I did something I haven't done in a long time. I read a book. I love, love, love reading. The only problem being, if I like the book (not even love, but just like) I can't put it down. It must be devoured as quickly as possible. I become moderately irresponsible and somewhat unreachable. Which quickly undoes all my hard work to be an outstanding wife and mother. I need to learn moderation in book reading. Set a timer? Maybe that's a good idea. Anyways, Ben says that I shouldn't buy books because they aren't a good investment for me...I read them too quickly and I'm pretty sure I've never reread a book. I guess he has a point, but I really hate when the book I want isn't available at the library.
What brings this on? I read The Hunger Games today, well and some of last night. Yep, the whole book. Slurp, it's gone. Now I need the second book in the series, but I'm pretty sure it's on hold forever at the library. And don't even suggest a Kindle or the like, because part of my love of reading is holding the book in my hand and physically turning the pages. Plus staring at a screen all day is sure to make me blind by the age of 55 and it gives me migraines. If I do get the second book, we may run out of homecooked meals around here and the laundry will turn into Mt. Kilimanjaro.
Hmm...what to do, what to do?
4 comments:
set a timer...
I have the same problem. If I set a timer too I never can fully get into the book. If you ever solve your problem to this dilemma let me know!!!
Beau devours his books and I make fun of him for it. I have a policy of reading just a few chapters a day so I can make it last... but all that went out the window with the Hunger Games! I read all three in just over a week, including three days of waiting for one on the library hold list. And yes, my housekeeping suffered for it too!
This is why I don't read.
My children will forget they have a mother.
Post a Comment