Yesterday I was beginning to feel a little like Harold Crick in Stranger Than Fiction. (If you haven't seen it, you should, I like it). So maybe I wasn't using a paper and pen to keep track, but I was mentally tallying all the tragic vs. comedic events, trying to figure out if my life is a tragedy or a comedy.
Event 1- I woke up to find our account overdrafted. Bleh. We received our low balance alert email at 3:30 am and then slapped with the overdraft fee at 6:30 am. Thanks for the alert. One tally for comedy.
Event 2- Upon further examination, I discovered the overdraft was caused by an automatic payment for my insurance....which I canceled since I'm now on Ben's insurance. After calling the company and explaining my situation, the lady tells me that the bill is an error because they are behind on their billing, and that I just shouldn't pay the bill. I laugh, because I've already paid the bill, without knowing it. She says that the paper work to cancel my insurance wasn't submitted correctly (by the employee) and they'll sort it out as soon as possible. Then I tell her that since it overdrafted our account, I expect them to pay the fee. Oh they can do that, but first I'll have to submit all the paperwork and documentation. And fax it in. With my fax machine? Why is it when they mess up, I'm the one that ends up with a hassle? One tally for tragedy.
Event 3- Technically this is the same phone call, but for more manageable paragraphs, we'll classify it as a separate event. Then I ask what I can do about finding out my new ID # (Ben's group plan is through the same company), since I have a Dr appointment and ultrasound (hopefully) scheduled this week. After a long time of typing noises, she tells me that my information hasn't been processed. That it's in line, but done alphabetically. She says it will probably be sometime before the end of the month, and then 10 business days after that I'll receive my insurance card in the mail...sometime in February. But, not to worry, they'll reimburse me for anything back to Jan. 3, as long as I do the paperwork and submit the claim. I laugh, and tell her, once again, that she overdrafted my account...so while reimbursement is nice, it's hard to do when you don't have money in your account. Another tally for tragedy.
Event 4- While I'm hold, Kennady is running around like a monkey. And then she trips, and it makes a terrible noise. So terrible that I'm actually afraid to look, because I'm convinced she's covered in blood. She fell and hit her head on the metal track of our sliding door. It has a huge dent in it. Her head has a giant goose egg, but no blood. It was seriously so sad. One more tally for tragedy.
Event 5- I receive my temporary medicaid card in the mail. The one I applied for last week. Yes, that's right, the state of Utah actually processed something faster than the insurance I am paying. Tally for comedy.
Event 6- Kennady fills the VCR with spare change she got out of my wallet. And then she throws a fit because she can't watch Lion King. Another tally for comedy.
Event 7- Kennady absolutely refuses to take a nap. Tally for tragedy.
Event 8- I see we've been sent a check from BYU-Idaho for a considerable sum of money, and have no idea why. Upon further examination, it appears that when I had them remove the charge for Ben's insurance for this semester (the one after he's graduated...), not only did they remove that charge, but they also refunded his insurance from last semester. I am sorely tempted to cash the check, but instead spend more time on the phone, trying to explain to them they've given us extra money. Eventually, they tell me to void the check, and they'll send another one for the correct amount. It will take about a week to get here. Hmm, I'm a little torn on this tally, but think we'll give it to comedy.
Event 9- Right before bed, I'm enjoying a cookie with Kennady. Ben has stepped out to help someone who's high-centered her car on a stupid rock in the parking lot- I wonder if her life is a tragedy or a comedy. I'm also cleaning up. Kennady is monkeying around and knocks my vase of flowers off the shelf, shattering it on the floor. On the way down, the vase hits my favorite dish and puts a huge chip in it. The one that I was so careful with in packing. For a pregnant lady with a very long day behind her, this was definitely a tragedy.
Event 10- After sending Kennady to bed, I'm trying to repair my favorite dish. Only the piece I'm trying to glue back on cracks, getting super glue all over my fingers. I super glue the piece to my fingers. And in trying to remove it before it dries, I get super glue on 5 of my other fingers. Yet another tally for comedy.
After this, I give up and go to bed. Let's see that's 5 tallies for comedy and 5 for tragedy. So maybe that means I'll get hit by a bus, but my watch will save me. Ironically, I don't wear a watch. Maybe I'll start.
6 comments:
Your post made me laugh. Sometimes you just have to take life lightheartedly. I can sympathize with your insurance debacle. Good luck getting that straightened out!
Made me laugh too- and want to cry. We are having insurance issues as well. An oh the joys of being poor. It ends, right? Someday? Tell Kennedy hi!
Oops- *Kennady. I swear I know how to spell it.
I love that you were able to see the humor in some of those events. Several of those could easily have been tragedies. Way to put a good spin on it!
Don't you just LOVE insurance companies?? :p Hope you get to that ultrasound this week!! Can't wait to hear what you're having!
I vote comedy. When life gets like that, all you can do is throw up your hands and laugh. And yes, we do need to get together sometime. Our car situation is precarious right now, but I'll let you know when I know what's going on with that.
I loved this post.
I so can relate. I think this kind of stuff just comes with grown-up life, ESPECIALLY motherhood. I am so glad that you could write about your horrible day to give the rest of us something to laugh about.
Wait...that didn't sound how I meant it...
Anyway, it reminds me of two things...
1) A group of stay-at-home moms in some random city got together and formed a stand-up comedy club to tell stories about their days. They said it was better than therapy because everything crazy that happened to them throughout their day became something they could use in their routine that week instead of just something to pull their hair out over. I love that concept.
2) Sister Hinckley said, "The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache." Haha, seriously, my favorite quote. How true.
I guess that's a good reason to choose comedy. :)
Post a Comment