Sunday, January 23, 2011

Tantrums

So, I started writing a post a few days ago. Upon revisiting it, I've decided it's altogether too negative. So I guess I'll just start over again. It might be a little better this time.

Thursday- The potty training continued, I didn't give up. Kennady pooped in the potty. Ben came home after his interview at University of Utah and helped get Kennady down for a nap, which is becoming more of a challenge every day. He said he felt pretty good about the interviews, but we'll still just have to wait and see. It may be April before we know anything. That night Kennady refused to go to bed. It turned into a very, very long day.

Friday- Kennady woke up in as bad of a mood as she went to sleep in. Potty training was a no-go that day, as was everything else, except screaming and throwing yourself on the floor (I think I even did it a few times). Luckily, I was so exhausted, I had no problem laying down with her for a nap. And we both slept for 4 1/2 hours. She woke up with a cold, but in a better mood. Also, we figured out her 2 year molars are coming in. That night Ben and I attempted date night...rather unsuccessfully. Kennady, once again, refused to go to bed. Eventually we gave up on the movie and just called it bedtime.

Saturday- Ben went into work to make up for the day he missed for his interview. I stayed home with Kennady. We had a semi-successful day potty training. By the time Ben got home, I needed a break, after not having left the house all week. So I went grocery shopping...for 4 hours. Ok, so I wasn't grocery shopping the entire time. But it was a great break, and I came home happy to see my two-year-old. However, I came down with Kennady's cold. Ben and I attempted to write our talks for church. Kennady refused to go to bed again. Ben also got Kennady's cold. We took turns sleeping and writing, and then eventually called it quits, only to sleep very unpeacefully all night long.

Sunday- we woke up early, because Kennady said we should. We did finish our talks...well, ok, mostly. I actually managed to make myself look decent. It took a long time, no wonder I don't do that every day. Then we went to church. We had to take Kennady out before it even started. Ben managed to bribe her long enough to sit through my talk. I think it went ok. Then Ben's turn. Kennady was done being bribed. And started screaming at the top of her lungs "I want to go to nursery. I'll be right back." And throwing herself on the floor. I'm sure it was funny to see the tired pregnant lady drag the kicking and screaming two-year-old out the door of the chapel, only to have to return to get the diaper bag. I've heard that Kennady's screaming could be heard even after I took her outside. Needless to say, since Kennady was sick and couldn't go to nursery, we were done. There's no way I was going to try to take her to Sunday school. We spent the rest of the day sleeping. I have a feeling they won't be asking us to speak again anytime soon.

Monday- still sick. Still not enough sleep. Kennady and I had a lazy day. Around lunchtime, she started acting really funny, looking funny, and had diarrhea. We didn't even attempt potty training. I was really starting to worry. Then I followed the paper trail...of unwrapped cough drops. I knew she had eaten one, and I took the bag away. Well, I guess she hid them around the house, knowing that I would take them away, and had been continuing to eat them all day. I found around 10 wrappers. Luckily I have poison control on speed dial. However, after closely reading the package, I figured out I didn't even need to call them. Basically they are just sugar...except these were sugar free....and some other stuff. The only warning? "Excessive consumption may have a laxative effect." Fantastic. After a few hours she was feeling better, and I convinced her to take a nap. Which I had to wake her up from to run errands. To both banks. Ugh. We really need to have just one bank. And I'd prefer one that didn't have morons working at it. Like tellers that take 10 minutes to figure out how to work the teller stamp. Or get the printer to print. Kennady was pretty good, probably because everyone kept giving her candy. Then we went to FedEx to fax stuff. I told the guy I needed to fax some papers, and he pointed me towards the self-serve fax machine. I said I'd rather he just fax them, and he started to tell me how easy it is....here I'll show you how. Gee, thanks, because I don't know how to fax things. So as I'm trying to fax, Kennady is running amok in the store, taking everything off shelves, running back into the employee only area, screaming and throwing things. The fax machine refuses to take my papers in the order they were intended, probably because they were extremely wrinkled from their trek in the diaper bag. And the employees, they are laughing as my fax gets sent in the wrong order, and Kennady plays Godzilla. At this point, I figure they deserve it and stop all attempts to stop her. I'm done, scoop up my screaming child of destruction, pick up nothing, and head to the car, where it takes me 15 minutes to strap her in her car seat using brute strength.

It takes Ben all of 30 seconds to figure out why I insisted on meeting the bus somewhere and picking him up, and why we were having pizza for dinner.

People must think I am crazy to be pregnant, considering the horrendous behavior of my two-year-old. I think I am crazy. But two-year-olds don't stay two forever. Right?

2 comments:

janaemadsen said...

oh dear I'm sorry about the fits. I hope you guys feel better soon- and that ben gets in to the U

The Ballard Family said...

They don't stay two forever and I will spare you the usual 'they grow up too fast' talk right now...you and I both know that doesn't help anything.
What's really funny is that when I was potty training James and attempting to potty train Ben at the same time (ended up being a no-go), I wrote this whole big long post that I ended up deleting and starting over. Because it was too negative. :) I have so been there.
Every time I read about you running errands, etc., I admire you so much. I never ever went anywhere with my kids when they were 2 and under. Especially during pregnancy. I know you are thinking you do it because you have no other choice and I know that is probably true but I still think you are amazing.
You are doing a great job and Kennady is very lucky. Whether she behaves like it or not. :)
I hope you are all feeling better soon!