I'm sure everyone is anxious to here the story of how Korban arrived. Ok, not really, but feel free to skip this entry.
Friday night I started having contractions just before bed, which wasn't anything new. I knew I was already 3 cm from my dr. appointment. Then Korban dropped, which I was sure would speed things up. Two hours later, the contractions were 3 minutes apart, pretty painful, but not killing me. We went to the hospital after leaving Kennady with a neighbor. They monitored me for an hour. In that time I made it to a 4 1/2, so they admitted me. Then we started doing some walking, hoping to speed things up. And then Korban un-dropped. And I stopped making any progress, despite my regular contractions. They decided to put me on Pitossin to make the contractions stronger in hopes that would do something. I opted for an epidural then. The epidural sucked. I got really sick and pretty much felt like puking my brains out. I'd rather have killer contractions. I also started getting weird pains in my legs, which made me even more uncomfortable. So I asked them to turn down the epidural. Apparently they don't get many of those requests. It worked and I stopped feeling so sick. The pit did nothing to help labor progress. I told them they needed to break my water or I was going to be in labor forever, because I tend to have an excess of amniotic fluid. They said the dr had to do it. Where was the dr? Asleep. When would he come in? They would call him sometime after 7 am (this was around 5 am). 7 am came and went. I slept a little. I think they called the dr around 8. He moseyed on in around 10:30 am. He broke my water. Korban dropped again and I immediately went into transition. The epidural was not working, ok, somewhat, but not fully. They said they could have the anesthesiologist come back in and turn it up, after he was done with his 7 other epidurals (they were busy that night). I was pretty sure that wasn't going to help. An hour and a half later, I was ready to push. The doctor was not. He'd gone home again. The nurse said she'd called him, but told him I was at a 9 (which I was, for maybe 10 minutes), and he was on his way in. 15 minutes later, he finally showed up, which was about the time I was telling the nurse I hope she knew how to catch. After 15 minutes of pushing (and only because suddenly my contractions became 5 minutes apart, the longest since labor had started), Korban was born! The end.
So that's how I ended up with my second labor being nearly twice as long as my first. I wasn't very happy with my dr. The good thing has been that this labor will be a lot easier to recover from. I guess I had no idea how badly things had gone with Kennady, and thought everyone felt like that after delivery. The bad thing is I'm now experiencing something called postpartum hives. It's really fantastic. I'm allergic to my own hormones. Hopefully they will go away soon, but sometimes they will stick around until you stop breastfeeding. And I thought all the fun things were over with.
2 comments:
Ha ha! I hate doctors. For labor anyway. Midwives have their quirks, but mine stayed with me through almost my entire labor. Never going back!
Not to beat a dead horse, but I am hardly fond of doctors myself. Always glad to hear that someone is willing to stand up to them because I always have a hard time with that. Haha...but it sounds like everything went great all in all and I am so glad you have a sweet boy to cuddle (and feed and change, etc, etc) :)
Looks like you guys are doing great. Good luck once Grandma goes home...always a change to do it on your own BUT after raising such an energetic first child, you can do anything, right? :)
Post a Comment