Saturday, January 24, 2009

Time Out

This weekend Ben and I escaped! For 15 hours. It's the longest we've been able to escape being parents and be adults since Kennady was born. It's also the longest I've been away from my baby. Overall, I would say it was a success. Grandma was nice enough to watch her for the night while Ben and I went out to dinner at Lone Star. We did pop our heads back in after dinner so I could feed her, and we found her very unhappy. She's going through the "only mommy can hold me when I'm grumpy" phase. I fed her, rocked her to sleep, laid her down, walked out the door and crossed my fingers that both her and Grandma would get some sleep. We stayed at Chateau on the Lake. It's only 10 minutes from here, so I felt pretty good about leaving my baby, knowing I could rush back if I needed to. Luckily I didn't need to. The hotel is beautiful. I'd post pictures, but we didn't take any, so if you're curious, they have a Web site, you can google it. I learned a few things- 1. our baby needs a separate room from us. 2. we need a comfortable bed 3. we need hotel curtains. . It was really nice to sleep all the way through the night, without being awaken by baby gurgles. For those of you who don't have children, I'll help you out- babies do not sleep quietly. Those commercials with silent sleeping cute babies - they don't add the sound. It's amazing how much better you can sleep on a comfortable mattress that a) wasn't bought used or b) isn't the same mattress you slept on when you were 8. And I loved that our room was pitch black when our alarm went off at 10 am. It reminded me of the days when I had a room without a window- before my mother decided it was a fire danger. Mostly it was just nice to be a real person again, instead of a feeding machine (aka mommy), even if it was only for a few hours. I will admit I decided to forgo breakfast to come home to make sure she wasn't purple from screaming all night and Grandma wasn't pulling her hair out. When I got here, she was happy, smiling and well-fed. I also got reports that she slept most of the night. Kudos to Grandma.

No comments: