Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I Could Do That

Do you ever see someone do something and think, "I could do that." It happens to me all the time. Like when I went into a souvenir shop and saw these cute little hand sewn totes. Perhaps I am overconfident or maybe I'm just really good at a lot of things. Alright, maybe I'm not the best photographer, designer or seamstress (um, duh). But I see people everywhere charging an arm and a leg for their photo/design/sewing projects. Yes, they are cute, but usually not professional quality. Yet the cost is $$$$ on a $-$$$$ scale. (Those totes I mentioned were $75) (if that doesn't sound overpriced to you, we need to talk, I have some things to sell you). I'm not sure I could convince myself that a picture I took with my point-n-shoot that just happens to look awesome, or the handbags I made following some crazy-lady's pattern that were surprisingly pretty, or my seriously funny Christmas card I designed because I was bored are worth $$$$. Then again, I did do sales for a living for quite some time, so I'm pretty good at convincing people to buy overpriced stuff. It makes me think that I could do that. But the word "entrepreneur" gives me the heebie-jeebies (not to mention it's a pain in the butt to spell). And I lack start up capital. And perhaps time. (Let's be honest, if I didn't blog I'd probably have more time). Which brings me to my next point.

There are tons of ordinary people who make a living from blogging. I saw one on Grey's Anatomy a few weeks ago...she couldn't talk and started blogging about it and became an obessesed blogger who used post-it notes to communicate. Now that I think about it, I guess not being able to talk isn't really ordinary- but you get the point. Maybe I should have people pay to put advertisements on my blog. There are two problems that I see in this. (Ok, maybe more...forgive me if the list makes it to 3). 1. I probably violate all sorts of copyright/trademark laws on here, which isn't really a violation because it's personal use, but if I start making money from it, I would have to pay attention. 2. I would have to remember and actually use all those grammar rules I learned in college, because (see earlier post) I have a problem with people that get paid to do things unprofessionally. 3. If I got paid to do it, it would be a job, and then I wouldn't like it anymore. 4. People would actually have to read my blog (just kidding, I know you do). Which reminds me, I really need to find a counter to see how many people check me out (I only wish I was talking about my body). Anyone know how to do that?

3 comments:

janaemadsen said...

I wish people were more interested in what I had to say so I could actually earn money from my blog. Or that I could pretend for a large portion of my life I communicated only with post it notes.

Jeff said...

1. WE LOVE YOUR BLOGS!!! We're just quite to the million hits a day mark. You would have to create some sort of publicly fascinating blog filled with DRAMA. We probably would not read that one, but you should we get a lot of half brains on there click on all the advertisement links.

2. Yeah, entrepreneur is just another word for unemployed. But about product value. I have also done sales - nearly my hole life - and now I am in purchasing. Your right, the tote is not worth anywhere near 75 bucks. However, the pretty display rack, the spontaneity of buying something in the middle of nowhere, and the gas fumes just inhaled add tremendously to the value. You're right that even your far superior skills would sell for as much without the bells and whistles. That's why you can go to a starving artists show and pick up some amazing canvases for super cheapo.

3. Ummm. I don't know where I was going any more, but we love you and your blogs. Keep it up!

Jeff said...

Oh yeah, about the "I can do that problem." I still have plans of terracing my moms yard. It looks like so much fun! I think this job might actually give me enough time off to do it once I decide to invest in the materials.