Thursday, September 11, 2008

Sometimes Life is Stupid

Maybe stupid's not a nice word. And maybe it doesn't show off my impressive vocabulary. But I'm not really looking to impress anyone or trying to be nice. Don't mess with 8-month pregnant women who are having regular contractions.

The stupid contractions- they came back Tuesday night around midnight. I decided myself to start taking the medication again and call the doctor in the morning- it sounded better than spending the night at the hospital. Wednesday I went to the doctor. I got to sit hooked up to the non-stress test for an hour or so. The contractions were 2 1/2 minutes apart lasting 1 minute each. I thought that's what happened near the end? He told me to keep taking the medication and there isn't much else we can do. It hasn't stopped the contractions, just made them less intense and more irregular. I also found out that if she doesn't wait to come for another 2 weeks, I can't have the baby here, in Rexburg, but we'd have to drive to Idaho Falls.

The stupid medication- sure it holds off contractions. It also gives me migraines, makes me dizzy, makes my heart race and causes my skin to turn all red and get hot (like I'm sunburned). I have to take it every four hours.

The stupid child birth class- Wednesday night we went to our first child birth class. We skipped the last one, because I thought it would be stupid. We decided to go to this one and the next one, so we could do the early registration thing and figure out how to get to the maternity floor. Well, Wednesday was the day that I was having contractions all day and was hooked up to the monitor. And then put on the medication. So, we go to this class, which starts at 7 p.m., and I'm having real contractions and I have a migraine. It didn't help anything that it was 100 degrees in the little room (Ben says it was not hot). Did I learn anything that I didn't already know? No, unless you count the stories of our instructor and her sisters' labors. In fact, I learned more from Bill Cosby that night than from the instructor. Maybe that's my own fault, I had way too much time in Alaska to read books about pregnancy. The bulk of the class was a comedy routine from Bill Cosby about child birth. It was probably funny, but thanks to my pounding head, I was not in the mood. I suppose there was one good thing about the class- I think it prepared Ben for how grouchy I will be during labor.

The stupid bike- Ben has a bike. It's blue. First, we replaced the bent back wheel, the rusted chain, and the front innertube. 70 some odd dollars. Then Ben rode 5 feet on the bike and the tire popped. $8.25 to fix a flat. Then he rode another 5 feet and it popped again. Free, because I threatened to take the bike to the store myself if it wasn't. Then he rode it to school, and it popped. Now he must need a new wheel for the front. $40. That's $120. And then it needs a new seat. $25. New handlebars. $12. Now it's $160. Can't I buy a new bike for that much?

I suppose not everything is stupid. Last night Ben took me on a date, one where we actually went somewhere and did something. We went and saw Ryan Shupe and the Rubber Band. It was great fun, although a little painful for me. You see, it woke up my baby and she decided to dance all the way through the concert. She is a little big to move around so much. Her dad is in for some big trouble though, because we found out she likes drummers.

1 comment:

The Ballard Family said...

I like re-getting-to-know my cousins as adults...
Kourtney as an adult = extremely entertaining.
Though, having been an eight month pregnant woman three times in the last four years, I know that you probably don't want to be told that you're entertaining right now.
So, I will just tell you that you're lovely beyond all reason, inspiring and the best mom-to-be ever.
I look forward to hearing more and more about your life in general. Too bad we don't live near each other, I think we would make an interesting team. Though I don't know what we'd be doing as a team...perhaps just discussing life and how sometimes it is just stupid.
Take it easy.
Mandy