Saturday, September 20, 2008

Nevermind

I no longer feel bad for being a bum. Nope, not at all.

Yesterday, about the time I posted, I started having contractions- not an unusual thing for me. They started at 3 minutes apart. I was determined to ignore them. And they kept getting stronger. By the time Ben got home around 3:00, I was really uncomfortable. Ben thought we should go to the doctor. As I was debating, the contractions got pretty bad, and I decided rather than waiting until the poor doctor had already gone home for his weekend and then calling him, we could just go in before 5:00. So we went in and I got hooked up to that machine again. The baby hates it. I think Ben thought it was pretty cool, one he wanted to know all about the machine, and two he had fun watching our baby go nuts. Mom even called in the middle and got to hear her heartbeat. While hooked up to the machine, the contractions got more intense and closer together. The doctor was quite impressed with how quickly I was "pumping them out." He confirmed by belief that generally contractions aren't that close together until you are nearing the end of labor. I guess I am the exception. By the end of the whole appointment the doctor had revoked his 24 hour guarantee. He said somewhere between tomorrow and Oct. 27 I'll have a baby. He then said he was considering sending me to the hospital to be monitored, because the contractions were near ridiculous. We opted to go home, eat Chinese and watch a movie and call before we went to bed. Well, 4 hours later, the contractions hadn't gotten any better. They hadn't really gotten much worse either, though, so we decided to stay at home and "sleep." The contractions let up around 1:30 this morning and I was able to get some sleep. This morning I felt like someone had taken a bat to my back during the night. The contractions still haven't stopped, but they are more like 10 minutes apart now.

The good news is that my doctor has a heart and said that at this point, he's not going to try to stop me, because obviously it's not working and trying stronger drugs will probably just give me a headache and make me nauseous. And if this continues for 3 more weeks then he'll even put me out of my misery and induce me.

So I will continue to be a bum and I won't feel bad about it.

1 comment:

Angeline said...

When is your official due date? The end is near, can't wait to see posts of your cute baby!