This morning I was woken (grammar rules escape me for the moment, we'll save it for another English lesson) from a moderately deep sleep by what I thought was a contraction. I ignored it and went back to sleep. And then again. This time I consulted the clock. 6:30. I tried to go back to sleep and as I was starting to dose off, it happened again. 6:40. Hmm, ten minutes. Still ignoring. Laying in bed trying to sleep, and then another. 6:50. Hmm, 2 ten minutes apart. Maybe I should see how long they last, so I wait around another 10 minutes. Yep, another. 45 seconds. I'll get up and drink some water- it helps everything. Then another. It's now 7:10. I'm pretty convinced they aren't real contractions, but ow, they kinda hurt. Another. I'll take a shower, I hear that helps. 7:40. The shower didn't do anything except make me smell better. Brush teeth. Consider calling the doctor. Decide to call Ben instead. Of course, he doesn't answer his phone. Call Mom. She suggests I call the doctor. 7:50. The doctor's office doesn't open to 8:00 and it isn't an emergency, so I won't call his cell phone. Dry hair. 8:00. Talk to nurse, she says to come in for a non-stress test.
I don't understand why it's called a non-stress test, when it's only used at times when you are very likely to be stressed out. Now, I am pretty sure I already know what is going to happen at this point- I'll get to the dr's, they'll do the test and the conctractions will stop and I'll think that I was crazy and the dr will think I'm a paranoid first-time mother, which is partly true.
8:10. Arrive at dr's office and am strapped to large, comfortable chair and told to relax for 30 minutes. I did a moderately good job at this. 8:20. No contraction. I knew this would happen. Meanwhile, the baby hates the monitor and is very seriously trying to remove it from my abdomen by kicking it. Not only does this make a very loud noise every time, but it also is uncomfortable on my already sore body. And it makes it very hard to monitor the baby's heartrate. 8:30 Aha! Another contraction, and it's marked on the little paper. I'm not crazy. However, this one is no where near the intensity of the others. 8:40 Another small contraction. Non-stress test complete. Nurse calls the doctor. 8:50 Doctor says: take perscription, drink lots of water and take it easy, call back if they get worse, or on Monday, whichever comes sooner. 9:00. Enter Broulims. Get distracted by smell of donuts. Buy donut. Eat donut. 9:10 Try to get perscription. 9:20. Would really like to be home and not in store. Of course the contractions have gotten worse since I left the dr's office. 9:30 It takes pharmacies a long time to fill perscriptions. 9:40 Get perscription. 9:50 Arrive home. Take medicine with large glass of water. 10:00 Medicine must take longer than 10 minutes to kick in. 10:10 Take Tylenol. 10:20 Feel dizzy. 10:30. Still feel dizzy. 10:40. No contraction. Not getting hopes up yet. 10:50 No contraction. Maybe it works. 11:00 No contraction. It works.
11:10 Realize I'm angry that Ben still hasn't called me back.
2 comments:
Hey!
I am always glad to find another long lost cousin. :) You are so cute, posting about your contractions. I have a feeling that keeping up with your blog from here on out will provide me with some amusement. Besides, it's just nice to keep in touch with family! I had heard you were pregnant but forgot and got excited all over again when I read about it! Congrats! I can't wait to hear more!
Mandy
Hey, it's me again. Apparently I'm stalking you now. Just wanted to let you know that I changed our blog setting to private, so if you want to view it, shoot me an email:
jcandmandy@gmail.com
Later!
Post a Comment