Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Score One for Us

Or make that four.

First, Kennady is in bed. Which is fabulous, because we are pretty sure she is getting another tooth and has been a bit of a drooling grump today. She also has hit a growth spurt and is growing like a weed. She is in 18 month clothes (well, they are a little baggy, but she needs the length) and 5 1/2 shoes. This is why I try to only buy shoes on sale, she only wears them for a few months.

Second, Ben is officially registered to take the MCAT! Yay! Ok, so maybe he's not so excited to actually take it, but it is nice that he can, and that we finally got accepted into the fee waiver program, so it won't cost us an arm and a leg to take the test and apply to med schools. Talk about a big relief for us. We'll still have to fork out the money for him to travel to interviews next year, but, well, if he gets interviews I would say it will be worth it.

Third, and I know this is a little late, we stuck to our budget for the second month in a row! And we had $5 left. Go us. Well, I guess technically we had more than that left, but we rolled some of it over into this month's budget to cover my trip to Utah. Hopefully we can stick to it this month. I keep thinking of things I want to buy. Oh yeah, and the MCAT fee, and doctor bills, and we should probably fix our car. Hmm. Good thing we have a freezer full of hot pockets. And Butterfinger ice-cream (the best ice cream ever, which is weird, because neither Ben nor I really care for Butterfingers). Gotta love sales. $.55 for a package of Hot Pockets, does it get better than that? Ok, so maybe potatoes are cheaper, and possibly better depending on how they are cooked. We eat a lot of those too.

Fourth, yesterday I made guacamole for the first time ever. And it was good. So good. I ate a lot. And then for dinner tonight I made up a new recipe. I like to call it Holy Mole Chicken. Catchy, I know. So I take chicken and slather Lowry's Havana Garlic & Lime marinade all over it and bake it till it's done (375 for about 35 minutes). Then top with cheese of your choice (we used mozzarella, because it was already grated, but I would have preferred pepper jack). Then coat with freshly made (um, or leftover) guacamole. Mmmm, tasty. What, you say you don't like guacamole? I used to think that too, but I was wrong. Oh, you don't have a recipe for guacamole? Well, let me just solve both of your problems. Go here. Psych. I can't find the place where I got the recipe from originally. And then I changed it a whole bunch anyways. So I'll just tell you.

2 ripe avocados (I don't know what a ripe avocado looks like, so I don't know if mine were or not)
handful of diced tomatoes (I used them from a can or chop your own fresh, you lazy cook, maybe like two roma tomatoes)
diced garlic, a big spoonful, well I used a fork
lemon juice (the recipe said lime, I didn't have any) it said a lime's worth, but since I used the stuff out of a bottle, I just guessed
salt. a lot. I don't know, maybe a teaspoon or something, make it taste good
diced onion (yeah, I didn't want to chop the onion, and it gives me heartburn, so I omitted it)
cayenne pepper- I didn't have any, so I didn't use any
oh yeah, and some cilantro


Don't ask me how things turn out good from recipes like that. Or when I forget to buy chili seasoning and it's Sunday, so I improvise and both Ben and I agree it's the best chili we've ever had. (Don't ask me for the recipe, I don't know what in the world I did, but hopefully I can recreate it so Ben doesn't cry). I think I have a gift. It probably has something to do with my ridiculously good sense of smell. See, Ben- it does come in handy for something besides nagging you to take out the garbage or asking you to brush your teeth.

Tonight I am going to attempt to go to bed in the next half hour- by 9:30. Every time I try this something bad happens. Like Kennady wakes up and decides not to go back to sleep until 3 in the morning. But first I think I need some guacamole and Butterfinger ice cream. And, no, I am not pregnant. I always get weird food cravings.

2 comments:

janaemadsen said...

I love butterfingers. never tried the ice cream though... good luck cousin Ben on the mcat

Rob & Kristi Nelson said...

I like your cooking style! will have to give that Holy mole chichen a try.

Congrats on getting a the fee waver. That is some really really really good news.