Yes, really, I need it. Maybe I should move to Arizona (hmm...there are actually quite a few reasons this might be a good idea...but it will not happen until I have a car with air conditioning). Well, ok, so maybe I appreciate that Kennady might possibly sleep later, since the sun comes up later. And I love that we have daylight until 7 pm. Especially on a day like today- it was nearly 50 degrees and sunny, so wonderful. And the snow is almost gone (that does not mean that it won't snow again, because I'm pretty sure it will) but at least the mounds on the playground are disappearing.
So we actually forgot about the whole changing the clocks thing. We did figure it out, and even made it to church on time (uh, well, close), because we don't meet until 1:30. But Kennady did not get a nap. Ugh. And she had a runny nose, so no nursery for us, besides she isn't old enough, remember? She was pretty good for the first hour. Then she got bored in class. And she pooped. And she was being downright ornery (this is a current trend of hers). Another mom let us borrow a necklace, which Kennady found very entertaining, until she broke it. And then she was in trouble. Ben took her out several times. And by the end of class, I thought it was probably my turn to take her, although Ben tried earnestly to convince me he wanted to take her.
So I took her to Relief Society with me. Yes, the one meeting where I am supposed to lead the music. So I sit near the front, thinking she'll have a little more room to play and I have to be up there anyways. Well, my kid is a monkey. She wanted to play the piano. Luckily, it's digital, and it turns off. So the first song I am trying to lead the music and she is trying to play the piano. So then I am trying to lead the music while trying to convince Kennady that she wants to help me lead the music. And then I was struggling to hold onto a squirming 17 month old and hold off a temper tantrum. We did barely make it through the song before she erupted. So, kindly, another lady in the ward hopped up to lead the next song for me, while I took my screaming child elsewhere. And, can I just say, my music leading skills are awful, she did an awesome job, and she didn't even have to practice.
So I take Kennady out into the hall to try to get her to sit still, be quiet, or go to sleep. And there are 3 screaming, unsupervised children under the age of 5 running around in the foyer. At least I know I'm not the only one. But how do I explain to my kid that I'm not the nice mom that is going to let her run around like a monkey at church? Instead I am the mean mom that is going to make her pretend like she is well-behaved for 3 hours. So, we just switched foyers (yay for big buildings). Then she was tired enough we snuck back into the Relief Society room and sat in the back. She finally fell asleep. Just in time for the closing song. So I tried to lead the music while holding a sleeping, snoring baby who was drooling all down my arm. Teach them to tell me she's too young for nursery.
Kennady made it the rest of the day on that 30 minute nap, and even stayed up late because we went to Kendra and Nathan's for dinner. And then I had to get her up at 6:30 this morning to go babysit, man was she a grump. Today went well though, her and Bailey are best friends and play really well together. We got home at 6, and Ben had made dinner. We ate quickly (he had to go to work), and then Kennady and I headed outside to enjoy what was left of the beautiful day. Then it got colder as the sun was setting and we had to come inside. Kennady was devastated. I put in a movie to try to lessen the blow. She said she was hungry, because she didn't eat dinner. So I made her some chicken nuggets. She ate a few bites, and then dumped them on the living room floor. I asked her to pick them up. She said, "No." I asked again. She started stomping on them. I asked once more, she sat down and started kicking them, laughing. And then she got a lesson on where her stubbornness comes from. Yes, enter an hour of poor pathetic tantrum throwing because she did not want to pick up those chicken nuggets. By the time Ben got home from work at 8, she was hysterical, and mom was not budging, so dad "helped" her pick them up. She did not like that very much, especially since she was pretty convinced that Dad was going to save her from her mean ol' mommy.
Why is it that teaching your children something takes a million times more effort, and is no fun for any one involved? Hmm, if only we could all figure that out as children, perhaps the parent/child relationship would become so much easier.
No comments:
Post a Comment