Wednesday, March 3, 2010

I Can Do Anything


So I thought I would post a few pictures from Ben's birthday. Great action shot, huh? So not only am I an awesome photographer, but I can also make cheesecake from scratch. I know the cheesecake isn't the prettiest in the world, but boy does it taste good (and all that wax from Ben's 25 candles came right off).This is Kennady all dressed for church. Isn't she cute? Aunt Kendra likes to spoil her (well, and everyone else, but this outfit came from Aunt Kendra).

I can handle two 18 month-olds at the same time. Especially while one is disgustingly sick. Today was quite the morning. Well, I guess it started last night when Kennady thought it was time to get up around 11 (just as we were heading to bed). So after some snacks and Kung Foo Panda we finally got her back to bed. I was supposed to babysit this morning, but didn't want to wake up the monkey, so I had them bring Bailey here. Kennady slept in until 8:30 and Bailey just sleepily snuggled and watched cartoons until she got up. And then Bailey got sick. Poop up to her armpits. A smelly stinky mess, it made our entire apartment stink. It was the worst I have ever seen (and I've seen some bad stuff). Luckily (for me) Ben was still home. It took both of us to clean up the mess and keep Kennady out of it. So I could have done it by myself, but who would refuse help in this situation? And I'm sure the mess would have been a lot worse if I had been outnumbered. After a bath and a load of laundry things were all good. And Bailey seemed just fine for the rest of the day (during which Kennady refused to take a nap).

I can play the organ. And now for the story of how I've come to play the organ. So, once upon a time, I started plunking out hymns on a 1970s keyboard in Young Women's, because I could read music (treble clef, that is) and had deciphered which keys corresponded to which notes. Then I turned 18, entered Relief Society, and was asked to be the pianist. Um, I don't play the piano. Well, then I guess you can learn. Uh, ok. So I did, or well at least I tried. I could play a few hymns well, and the rest, well, I guess they were alright. Every Sunday the chorister gave a disclaimer, just asking people to bear with me. Did I mention that I get horribly nervous playing in front of people? I played the flute for 6 years, and was pretty good, and yet never really went for the solo thing, it made me want to pass out and throw up. Not to mention I cannot memorize music to save my life. Ok, so I lived through that, went away to college and got released, thinking no one would ever know that I'd been forced to learn the piano and besides every girl at BYU-I plays the piano. And it worked, until we moved to Alaska. Then I got called to play the piano for Primary. I thought, well, a bunch of little kids don't know the difference between a good piano player and a crummy one, so I wasn't so nervous. Plus I was pregnant and enjoyed hiding behind the piano and eating snacks for 2 hours. It was awesome. Then we moved back to Idaho, where there are tons of people that play the piano for real. And I thought I was off the hook.

And then a few weeks ago, the bishop approached me and said, "You play piano, right?" What? Who told you? Maybe people just assume because I have ginormous hands and long fingers. "Uh, well, play, sort of, I know a few hymns and lots of primary songs. But I guess if you need me to play I can." And then I got called to be the Relief Society chorister. Um, I can't lead music, I don't know how. Well, I guess you can learn. Uh, ok, it's alright, no one pays attention to the lady in front waving her arm (well except all the music majors...which there are a lot of). Eh, well, who cares if I make a fool out of myself every week, it could be worse.

So then last Sunday they announce that there is going to be a meeting for all people who musical callings. Bishop calls later that day to confirm that I am going, because he wants to make sure I am there. So I go to the meeting last night in our new building (um, fabulous, we don't have to sit in folding chairs anymore). Turns out the title of the meeting is Stake Organist Training Meeting. What? I have been duped. So it's me and the ward pianist there. And I learned how to play the organ. This one's all fancy and can actually play itself, although we've been forbidden to do that. Did you know the organ has a keyboard you play with your feet? You are supposed to play the bass line on it. PS I still don't really know how to read bass clef. And I'm the worst guitar hero drummer ever because I can't use the foot pedal. So, I'm sure this will just come naturally to me. Anyways, I felt like a total goof, because not only was I the only one there not an accomplished piano player or a music major, I had no idea the organ had so many foot pedals, so I was super confused and until I figured it out.

I wasn't really sure why I was at the meeting. And then the pianist told me she plans to be out of town in a few weeks. And since I'm the only other person in the ward that can even turn on the organ...well I think you get it. I hope they don't mind if I throw up all over their expensive new organ.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow my friend told the other day about someone in her ward that had to learn to play the piano because they called her to do so. I was baffled. I guess it's true.

I got called as the ward chorister and I didn't really practice much before the first Sunday because I kind of knew what to do. Well, let's just say it was pretty much a disaster and the ward organist asked me over to practice. Gosh I felt great.

Good luck with the organ I really want to learn to play the organ.

The Farlensens said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Ballard Family said...

This may be one of my favorite posts of yours ever.
I feel your pain, I got called to play the organ without knowing how. However I had been playing the piano all of my life before then so I REALLY feel for you, my dear!
I know you can do it.
Amazing things happen when we try...um...even if it's learning that we are, after all, human. :)
But, really, you can do it.
Can't wait for the follow up post. :)