Monday, June 23, 2008

The Longest Day of Our Lives

Something about being pregnant makes your memory really terrible. I am trying to remember things that we have done over the past week, and it's hard. I think it has finally sunk in that we are having a girl! I started working on my little girl blanket and am thinking of what to do with the little boy blanket that is so cute and is already finished. Ben and I are still debating names. We won't settle on anything until she is born and we can see her face, but I won't leave the hospital without naming her. I really like the name Kennedy, so I have 5 months to convince Ben.

It's also finally sinking in that we are leaving Alaska . . . next week. Ahhh! Panic. We haven't packed or cleaned a single thing in our apartment. We came up here with two suitcases each, both weighing exactly 50 lbs. That was hard, dragging 100 lbs of luggage all over the airport, with two carry ons, and I wasn't even pregnant. Between that and the fact that we have to pay for our second piece of luggage (by one day), we are only taking 3 suitcases back. That would work well, except that we now have more stuff than we came with. The math doesn't quite work. I think the Salvation Army may be getting some things that I will moan about leaving and then entirely forget I ever had in a month or so. We have mailed a few small boxes back and we're mailing back one more. Maybe two. The packing and cleaning was seeming quite overwhelming yesterday. So I did what I do best when I am stressed, I made a list. I already had a long to-do list of things that have to be done before we move, while we are in Oregon and when we get back to Idaho. But this new list solely focuses on what has to be cleaned and packed this week. Once I broke it down into what needed to be done everyday, it seemed more manageable.

In the midst of all the stressing out, I needed to do something fun. So we went to see Kung Fu Panda on Friday. I've decided that matinees are the way to go. First, it's cheaper. Second, it's mostly little kids, and most 5 year olds don't go out and inhale a cigarette right before sitting down in the theater. It really saves me some headaches. Kung Fu Panda was great, one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. I would recommend it. That night we also went out to the Maws house, with the Taylors, and played games and ate. And ate, and ate. Ben was really enjoying the ribs. On the way home we saw 3 moose. There are two cool things about this, one is that one of the moose was a baby moose, and it was cute. The other was that it was 12:30 in the morning and we could still see anything. Alaska is crazy.

Saturday was the longest day we will probably ever see in our whole lives! I don't know exactly how many hours of daylight there were, but it never really got dark, and it hasn't in several weeks. We didn't get the chance to play in the sunlight though. First, because it was raining, and second because Ben had to work. Poor Ben needs a vacation.

Tomorrow we have our final Alaskan doctor's appointment. I still have never even seen the doctor, only the midwife. I will be glad to have a doctor who doesn't answer "Well I don't really know," to most of my questions. I'm a little nervous to go, because I think I've gained 10 lbs or more since my last visit. I don't really want to know, and better yet, I don't want to hear the lecture that would probably follow if that is the case. And I will still go get a donut after the appointment, regardless.

Soon I will post another pregnant picture, really. And no, Mom, this is not like when I used to tell you I would clean my room soon.

1 comment:

Claire said...

Where are you guys going to in Idaho? Steve and I are in Boise, so if you're in the area . . . we should met up (after you unpack and get settled).