Thursday, June 26, 2008

Ch ch ch Changes

No matter how many lists I make and how much I schedule things, nothing ever goes according to plan. I am thankful, because if life went according to my plan I would be bored. Here are some recent changes:

1. A spontaneous move to Alaska. Most people wouldn't pick up with 2 weeks notice and move to Alaska, because it's crazy. It's been a great thing for us, and I am glad that I didn't let my fears or anxiety about moving to another country stop us. Ok, so Alaska isn't technically another country, but it might as well be.

2. We got pregnant. Goodbye trip to Hawaii, hello medical bills. But babies last longer and bring more happiness than a tan. Now my body is changing- into a (insert very large object here). First we thought our baby was a boy, and then we found out it was really a girl, which took us approximately one day to adjust to. Then we have to pick out a name, which has changed several times. Ben said yesterday that her name is Kennedy. He even said that I could buy the letters and paint them for her room when we get back to Idaho. That's a pretty serious decision. A baby changes everything. And you have to change a baby, a lot.

3. We decided to leave Alaska a little sooner than planned. Thank-you BYU-Idaho. In order to find housing for our one semester there (which is only 14 weeks) we have to go back sooner (or pay for an apartment we aren't living in). This is good and bad. We miss the best part of Alaska- summer (I'm still not convinced it actually happens here). We miss the $$ from Ben's job. But, we get to go to Twin Lakes! And Ben has been able to find some temporary jobs for the break.

4. Ben declared he wanted to change his declared minor, and his future career plans. Ben decided that he wants to go into Physical therapy, which means switching his minor from Chemistry into two clusters- Health science and Physics (He doesn't know this yet, but I discovered it today). He decided this yesterday, after all the classes were full. But I am a master planner/scheduler and was able to single-handedly rearrange his entire schedule in one day.

I think I've been resistant to change in the past; it's stressful. I think I inherited this from my mother, along with list making. I am learning to be more flexible. French toast today instead of spaghetti? Easy. Pick up and move in 2 weeks? No problem. Get a new job, change a major or a career? Done. Didn't get everything on the to-do list done today? Do it tomorrow, or next week- heck, scratch it off entirely, it wasn't that important anyways. If only I hadn't been so resistant to change a few years ago, maybe I would've gotten a useful degree, like accounting.

1 comment:

janaemadsen said...

I hate change! and my baby was a surprise. good times-