Monday, June 16, 2008

Happy Father's Day!

Happy Father's Day!! Ben had fun celebrating his first Father's Day, or at least I think he did. I have not been having the most success cooking lately. I wanted to make the whole weekend relaxing for him. I tried to have dinner ready for him when he got home on Friday night. We didn't really have any food in the house though, so I tried something new. I like to think the directions were wrong, but it didn't go so well. First I burnt the onions. Gross. I hate the smell of cooking onions as it is, burnt onions was disgusting. Then the roux didn't set up at all, I think it had something to do with adding chicken broth at the same time as the milk (it was in the directions). And then the tomatoes exploded all over me. After dumping that try in the trash and changing clothes, I tried again. This time it was edible. Since then I have had an aversion from tomatoes, they smell. The whole thing made me grouchy and Ben can't relax when I am grouchy. So I started over the relaxing weekend attempt on Saturday. This time I went to the grocery store and made nachos. Ben said they were the best nachos he's ever had, I'd like to think he was telling the truth. I also made cut out sugar cookies, my first attempt ever. I put them on a plate for Ben with a Happy Father's Day note. Making cut out sugar cookies takes a long time. I prefer drop cookies. Then we helped some people move. Well, I sat in the car. So much for relaxing. And then off for a rousing game of bowling. Wait, nix that, the bowling alley is mysteriously closed. So we rented P. S. I Love You. Good movie. Ben even enjoyed it, even though he resisted at first. Sunday morning I wanted to make breakfast in bed for Ben. Ben got up at 7 to work on his two lessons. He didn't get breakfast in bed. He did get German pancakes. He thought I was crazy for putting sour cream on it, but he was pleasantly surprised. They even looked pretty. (This is a piece from the side that didn't burn.) I was going to make ranch burgers and cheese fries for dinner. But after my 3 hour nap, I decided Dad got to help too. He made the burgers and I made the fries. Sans the cheese, too much work. And then I ate all of the fries. I think he got two. All this tells me Ben is going to be a wonderful dad, because if he can put up with me being pregnant, he should be great with a cute little baby.

1 comment:

Claire said...

You planned so many thoughtful things for Father's Day! The german pancakes look so good.