Tuesday, June 3, 2008

All in a Week's Work

Wednesday - We went to the scout spaghetti dinner fundraiser. It was the best scout spaghetti I've ever had- although the scouts didn't actually make the spaghetti, so I don't think it counts. We also learned that we can't outbid Alaskans, so we would have gone without dessert, but Alaskans are also kind enough to share!Thursday - Ben and I were asked to chaperone youth conference. Despite my Sister Nelson name tag and protruding belly, I was mistaken for one of the youth twice. We really didn't do much work. We sat and had a seven course dinner served to us and then got to dance. The decorations were incredible, especially considering they took them down that night and put up different ones the next day.

Friday- Ben's day off. Well, except the mandatory meeting at 8 a.m. And then he stayed and worked until noon. Then he headed back down to youth conference to help with service project. He came back several hours later smelling like a lawn mower. And then we did something out of the ordinary- we cleaned the apartment! It feels nice to have a clean place again. After my visiting teachers came and went, we decided that it was movie night. We didn't want to rent one and the next Netflix hadn't come, so we watched Spirit- Stallion of the Cimmaron. It was really dumb. Who makes a movie about horses that don't even talk- except to narrate the movie?
Saturday- Ben worked. I slept. This week I was working on the baby's hair. This kid is going to have a lot of hair. When Ben got home he took me to the fair! Well, it was a dinky little fair, but I got to eat a corn dog and funnel cake, so it counts. I knew I wouldn't be able to ride most of the rides, but I thought there would be something to do. The fair was also lazy, and instead of posting individual ride rules, they posted a general list, saying no pregnant women- for all of the rides. I thought that was stupid, especially considering that there have been no studies or incidences of carnival rides or even roller coasters being a threat to a pregnancy- it's all theoretical. But I am still somewhat cautious and skipped the Apollo- the only cool upside down ride. We just went on one that spins you around in a circle, and then you can spin your cart like a tea cup. That was the end of the fair for us, we got bored. Back home for another movie night. The baby must have liked the ride, because I felt it move for the first time, or at least the first time that I was pretty sure it was actually the baby.

Sunday- Ben now has 3 callings! He's on the scout committee, which is only a once-a-month thing. During sunday school he teaches the 11-year-olds and then during sharing time (or priesthood/relief society) he teaches the priests. He keeps busy. I still enjoy playing the piano for little kids for two hours. That afternoon, I really felt the baby move. Ben was kinda sad that he couldn't feel it. We made parmesan chicken for dinner, and I decided it is my favorite meal. Ben and I discussed him ditching his career plans and us opening up a restaurant.

Monday- Ben's day off this week. We both got haircuts. Ben's looks good, I still haven't decided if I like mine or not. I want to dye my hair again, but I won't do it myself and I'm not sure I trust Ben to do it, and I certainly won't pay a fortune to have it done at a salon. And there's the fear that my pregnant hair will turn a funny green or pink instead of red.

Then we had a chance for a free ultrasound at a clinic that is trying to train the employees on the machine. It sounded like a good idea at the time. First, they kicked Ben out of the room (he was really grouchy about that), then the 3 of them took turns trying to figure out how to use the machine, mistaking my belly button for my cervix. They tried to tell me for the next 20 minutes that I'm only 17 weeks along, because they all got the same measurement on the head (which even I could tell they weren't doing correctly). They finally let Ben in at the end, when the real tech was on the machine. We tried to get her to look to tell us the sex of the baby, she did one quick look (from a really strange angle) said "Well it's hard to tell, but I don't see any boy parts" and then got frustrated and told me my child wasn't cooperating. For some reason this really upset me. First that she called my child uncooperative, second that Ben was all mad at the stupid ladies who wouldn't let him come in, and third because I starting worrying that it is a girl- and I've been calling it a boy for 2 weeks. I went home and cried because if it's a girl I am worried she will never have a name, because I can't think of any girls names that I like. Taco sounded like a good girl name at the time (I figured out later I was starving). The moral of the story is not to let old women who can't even use a microwave do a free ultrasound on you, and to not try to name your baby when you are hungry. Also, I am currently taking suggestions for girls names.

No comments: