Thursday, May 15, 2008

If the Motivation is the Food at the End, Does it Count?

Today I finally got out of the house, voluntarily, by myself, during the day. I felt good when I woke up. I am not going to jinx it by saying that maybe I'll feel good all the other days I wake up. I even decided the comfort of my pajamas and house was boring. I needed to get outside. I decided I was going to walk to Ben's work and surprise him by taking him to lunch. In a perfect world today would have been a beautiful day- the sun shining, the sky a wonderful shade of blue, 70 degrees, birds chirping, etc. But we live in Alaska. Today was 45 degrees and raining. Never fear, I have a waterproof coat. First I went to check the mail. Nothing. Lame. I realized that the sound of rain on my hood wasn't entertaining enough for the feat I was going to attempt. So I plugged in my iPod. Who needs good conversation when you have good music? After 15 minutes of recharging both myself and my iPod, I was ready to go. Mind you, I even put on makeup and earrings today. As I was walking I found it ironic that I was listening to Cake- at least I wasn't eating it. (Now I am going to admit to how much of a nerd I am) I was walking across many parking spots and I realized that I was not only walking in beat with the music, but my steps had become so uniform that I was stepping on every white line with the same foot. Too many years of marching band. The worst part was then I thought how cool Cake would be as a marching program. The walk was the perfect length for both my stamina and the weather. Any longer and I would have been exhausted and soaked. Ben was very surprised and even managed to sneak away for lunch at Arby's. I feel like the curly fries negated my entire walk. But I also rationalize that it was a trade for donuts that I would have eaten anyways. I had a very vivid dream about donuts last night and woke up super hungry, determined to get a donut. I wasn't, however, determined enough to wake up and take Ben to work even with the promise of donuts. So I figure I did myself a favor by walking to Arby's. As a side note, my poor hubby is sick. The worst part is that he won't kiss me because he doesn't want to get me and the baby sick. :( I don't think babies can get colds in utero.

No comments: