Thursday, September 10, 2009

Sleeping Sick Monkeys Go to School & Party




I feel like I've gotten a lot accomplished in the last couple of days. And now I am kinda beat. First, and foremost, because I am a mother of an almost 11 month old whose sleep button is broken. Seriously, she decided she didn't want to sleep anymore. I don't know if it was the trauma of the move, the disappearance of Grandma Ellis, or the two teeth coming in on the top, but she decided sleep was not for her. We would finally get her to sleep after much kicking and screaming, and then as soon as we'd bend over to put her in bed, she would start screaming again.

So I decided it was time to sleep train the kid. Up until now, I really didn't feel like it was necessary. Sure, she had no regular bed time, but I liked rocking my baby to sleep every night when she got tired enough to be snuggly. But throw in more than a few tantrums and I was ready to figure out something else. We started with the nice approach, Ferber or something, where we go in to soothe her in increased increments of time. Well, every time we went in to soothe her, she just got more and more angry, until I feared she was going to pass out or throw up.

Then we tried the mean way. We just let her cry. And I cried. But after an hour and a half, she finally stopped crying and laid down and went to sleep. I made Ben go in and check on her, cover her up and make sure she had really fallen asleep and not escaped the crib to play in the closet or something. Sure enough, sound asleep. The next night only 15 minutes of crying. Today at naptime, 10 minutes. Tonight's bedtime: less than five. And we are all much happier.

Yesterday the three of us went on a very long walk around town, running errands by stroller and eating Jamba Juice and nachos for lunch. It was rather lovely until I got sick. And then Ben's been sick today. Maybe the nachos? Maybe the swine flu. Hmm, doubt it. Hopefully we are all done with whatever it is.

Today Ben had his first day of classes. I think they went well. Hard to tell, he hasn't been feeling well tonight. We worked out his schedule where he has to stay on campus from 8 to 5:30, some classes and the rest studying. Hopefully this will help him ace his classes, since he's not very good at studying at home (thanks to Kennady and I). We miss him a lot during the day :( Kennady is sad that most of her family is gone, but today Aunt Kendra came to visit and do laundry. Kennady was happy to have someone else to play with besides mommy. And we met some new little friends and played in the grass with them for awhile.

We also went to the doctor today. Just for Kennady's 9 month check up (um, yes, I know, a little late, we are happy to have a doctor again). She is perfect. And very healthy. Right at 50% for both her length and weight. 28 inches and 19 lbs. She is getting big.

I've started planning Kennady's birthday party. I can't believe how quickly it is approaching. A little over a month away. I've decided we are going to go a monkey theme. And Kennady is going to be a monkey for Halloween. We are going to have lots of fun. We are even going to invite other little one year old to come. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Rob & Kristi Nelson said...

What a cute little girl! That is cool that letting her cry to sleep worked. I guess it just show every baby is different.

Unknown said...

you know, Chloe ended up being a monkey too...it just fit her somehow...Your little monkey is growing so fast! Maybe I'll get the chance to meet her sometime!