Yay for Monday! I think this may be the only time ever I say this. It's not even Monday yet. Mostly I am just excited for a new week. I could use a fresh start.
A few short hours after my last post, Korban woke up and when I picked him up to feed him he was burning up. 103.3. Dangit. That was at 5 am. The poor guy looked miserable and wouldn't eat (um, for Korban that's huge, he's never refused to eat, even when he is full!). We got up, got dressed and dropped Kennady off with a neighbor. (PS I am so glad to live in an apartment complex with good friends and neighbors... nevermind the wandering stonners). Luckily the clinic at Ben's work opens at 6 am, so we were able to avoid the ER or Urgent Care.
By the time Korban was seen the Ibuprofen had done its job and he was just a little warmer than normal. He had no other symptoms. I mean he was grumpy and not sleeping well, but ears, eyes, mouth, tummy, everything looked just fine. We were told to just give him Tylenol and go to the ER if the fever doesn't come down or goes up. Then we go home and pick up Kennady. Korban was super grumpy that day and just wanted me to hold him. Kennady was a little neglected. By the end of the day I was so happy that my birthday present to myself was going to bed so early, because those hours of sleep were proving to be indispensable.
Friday I wake up much more optimistic about the day. Korban is sleeping. I fix myself breakfast (donuts that Ben brought me the night before) and ask Kennady if she wants a donut. She says no. I was puzzled but thought maybe the Lucky Charms her dad gave her were enough of a treat. She says she wants to color instead. I sit down to color with her, and right in the middle of color Tinker Bell purple, she vomits everywhere, without the slightest bit of warning. Weird. She gets a bath, I clean the floor, she gets new clothes, we resume playing. She must have eaten something funny. 20 minutes later she starts crying and coughing, and I was awesomely quick with the bowl. This continued all day. Every 20 minutes. Poor girl. Korban only woke up to eat. Seriously, it was a lifesaving blessing that he picked that day to sleep all day. Around 7 she finally was able to start keeping water and food down. It was a very long day. Luckily, no one else got sick, or at least not yet, and I'm hoping never.
Saturday we wake up. Everyone is healthy. There's also a healthy amount of snow on the ground. We decide to take it easy. Ben has to go back in to work to make up some hours due to our crazy week. We do absolutely nothing exciting. Unless you count grocery shopping. Alone. Oh, and I did start making ice cream around 10:30 that night. Ben didn't appreciate my timing. Kennady thought I was making cookies and kept making excuses to get out of bed.
Today. Woke up extra early and cursed Ben Franklin. Did he have children? I'm going to guess not. If he did he obviously didn't tend to them. Went to church. Got annoyed. Everything our stake or ward does is adult only "Please find a babysitter for children under 12" they post. And half of the time it's for things on Sunday. So am I supposed to hire a sitter? And who would this sitter be, someone under 12? And then they give me a hard time about not going to things. Just take turns trading off with other couples, they suggest. Well, sorry, but we already do that to go to the temple and for date nights, and well, how do you decide who gets to go to what, when we all are trying to go to the same things? So forget it. If they can't find activities where I can bring my kids or offer a nursery, I'm not going.
Ok, really the annoyance didn't last that long, because I was interrupted by Kennady needing to go potty and Korban being hungry and needing a diaper change. During this diaper change I notice Korban has a rash all over his abdomen. That's weird. So I take him out to Ben. Looks like heat rash. I did put a thermal onesie on under his short-sleeved shirt, and then he likes to be bundled in a blanket when he sleeps. Take off the thermal onesie and continue with church. Go home. Eat lunch. Invite friends over for popcorn and ice cream. Kennady and Korban both take a nap at the same time and Ben and I are stuck cleaning up the kitchen because we've got people coming over.
The ice cream was fantastic. I am so excited to start making my own flavors. I will start with cake batter ice cream. The only cons of this new ice cream maker? Turns out making your own ice cream is more expensive than buying ice cream (well, it's around $5 for vanilla flavor and makes 1/2 gallon). Also, I'm pretty sure it has more fat. But it is GOOD. And if I can perfect cake batter ice cream I'll save lots of money by not having to go to ColdStone anymore. Plus, I know a couple people who might buy some from me.
We also enjoyed having our friends over. I'm a little partial to ice cream. Ask Ben. Anyways, they go home and we watch the new Winnie the Pooh. Cute. Very short. Perfect. Korban is still being super grumpy. His heat rash is still there. Weird. Then I think maybe it's not heat rash and start scouring the internet. Really, I didn't have to scour. I only had to make it to slide 5 of the Most Common Baby Rashes slideshow. Apparently Korban has Roseola. So sorry to all those we may have infected today. Starts out with a spontaneous fever over 103 which lasts 2-5 days. Once the fever has gone away the rash appears. Causes irritability and decreased appetite. No big deal, just give Tylenol. Super contagious and nearly every kid will have had it by Kindergarten, although some never have any symptoms.
Yeah. So if tomorrow's not better, maybe by Wednesday we'll be back to normal.
1 comment:
Dallin had roseola and then when Daphnee had the same fever and lack of appetite then rash days later I knew what it was.
Crazy. Dallin's doctor said the same thing. Almost ever kid will get it.
Post a Comment