Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I Hate Poop

Today was one of those days. You know, the kind where you think, "What have I gotten myself into? What was I thinking?" and you warn all those around you to never, ever, ever have children.

Well, today it didn't help that I had an extra child. I love, love, love the little girl that I babysit, she is like my second child - but she is not my child, and I am not her mother. And today was her sixth day of potty training- the kind of potty training that does not involve pull ups. To make things worse, Kennady was very insistent that if B didn't have to wear a diaper, then she did not want to either. Oh dear. Kennady wanted to sit on the potty, all day long, but never did figure out how to use it. B did really well for only her 6th day, only 2 accidents. The first one was just wet. The second, well, it was disgusting and occurred while I was helping Kennady use the potty, and unattended accidents are really really bad. And then while I was cleaning that up, Kennady shed her pants, and then her diaper... I can't figure out how she managed to do this without unsnapping her onesie. And the two of them ran around butt naked while I scrubbed poop off of everything.

Kennady refused to eat lunch and said she wanted marshmallows. Or a cookie. She said she'd settle for juice. When I said no, she threw her macaroni and cheese at me. B followed suit, and then ate all the macaroni and cheese off her high chair because she was hungry.

When we got home, Kennady said no nap. Not only did she say it, but she screamed it to the point where she was making herself sick. She wanted to watch a movie. I said no. She was surprisingly ok with this, and enjoyed reading her new book and dancing on banana cookies. I guess I lucked out there.

Ben got home. From my text message today of, "Ugh. I hate poop," he knew that I had had a bad day. So he was not at all surprised when the house was a mess and there was no dinner on the table. When I suggested going out to eat, he said ok. He is so smart and handsome and wonderful. After dinner he took Kennady to the playground until he had to leave for work.

Then Kennady threw a fit because she wanted to talk to Grandma. But as soon as she got on the phone with grandma, she wanted to talk to Papa or Uncle Dustin. Eventually I said it was my turn to talk to grandma. While talking to grandma, Kennady had to have strawberry milk. So I got her some. She drank a big gulp, and then spit it out into my shoe. This is when I dressed her in her pajamas, read her exactly 2 stories, said prayer with her, kissed her goodnight, sang her exactly two songs and walked out of her room, locking the door behind me. She only screamed for 30 minutes. I am sure our neighbors are thankful for that. PS, I realize that all child sleep training books tell you not to do this. However they do not have a Kennady and they probably didn't write the book after a day of cleaning up poop.

Now I get to repeat this for the next two days. Ok, so hopefully it will go better than that. We bought Kennady her very own potty seat (which we'll need for B tomorrow), but it doesn't fit on our toilet. So now I have the joy of trying to return a potty seat. I think I'll make Ben do it.

1 comment:

Amberly said...

If I didn't already have kids, that definitely would make me think twice. NOT POOOOP!!!