Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Learning Something New Every Day

Kennady is learning things so quickly I can barely keep up. She learns new words- "thank you" is her newest and my favorite. New animal sounds- chicken's say "bawk bawk" (even chicken nuggets say this). She has almost figured out how to open our doors, this one I am not excited about. But more importantly than all the things she is learning are all the things she is teaching me every day.

1. Chili is a finger food.
2. All food tastes better when you feed it to yourself, especially if you rub it in your hair first.
3. Snacks make a great trail through WalMart to help you find your way out (I don't remember reading her Hansel and Gretel).
4. Bras make good necklaces and underwear makes good hats.
5. Sometimes one pigtail is okay.
6. Plastic stacking cups can be entertaining for hours.

Oh, the fun I have. Tuesday I watched 4 kids- 2 1/2, 18 months, 9 months and 1 month and Kennady. I did survive. So did my apartment. It's a good thing newborns can be carried with one arm and fighting children can be separated with feet. 5 children under 3 is craziness, I'm not even sure I can do 2 children under 3 on a regular basis. Good thing Kennady is very happy being an only child.

Today we made our biweekly trip to WalMart. Kennady started leaving a trail with her snacks until I took them away and then she just whined and only threw half of a fit before I could distract her with the fish (a great big thanks to the genius who put the fish next to the grocery section). Every employee who came near stopped to ask "Can I help you with anything?" What do you say to that? "Sure, could you watch my child for the next 15 minutes so I can get my shopping done? And while you're at it invent something nutritious that my child will absolutely love to eat all the time so I don't have to wander aimlessly around the grocery aisles trying to guess what my kid might take a couple of bites of." I didn't say that, but I wanted to. Instead I just laughed maniacally. The lady with the two children in her cart next to me also thought it was pretty funny.

We got all of our Christmas stuff up. Ok, not all. I just finished Kennady's stocking (yes, I am a bad mother and she didn't have a stocking for her very first Chirstmas, I'm sure she can blame all of her life's problems on it down the road). I am still working on the tree skirt. I did both of these things (not well) for under $6. After some consideration of where our tree should go -- it didn't work behind the couch because it left no living room, in the middle of the room was out of question because it's just not fair to tempt 1 year olds like that (also see above paragraph where I talk about watching 5 kids under 3), I'm too traditional to hang it upside town from the ceiling-- we turned our 6 foot tree into a 3 foot tree (using only the top section) and stuck it on top of the entertainment center. Good choice. A picture will come eventually. When the tree skirt is finished. Which will be after dinner is eaten, cleaned up, and dishes are washed. Which will be after dinner is made. Maybe I should work on that.

Oh, and I posted more videos to FlipShare, if you want to see, send me a comment with your email address and I'll send you the password. And I took no pictures of Kennady over Thanksgiving break, I didn't take my camera. And I didn't take a picture of Kennady with her two pigtails and in her cute overalls because we had to go to the store before second nap (think lunch fed entirely by Kennady followed by bath followed by trying to get in pigtails...poof there goes 2 1/2 hours) and by the time we made it home she'd pulled out both of them. I'm dealing with it, so you'll have to also.

3 comments:

Rory said...

Underwear seems to make for great body decorations. The other day, L1 decided that we were going to play a game on the kitchen floor, of which one of the rules was to wear little girl underwear on your head while she arranged dolls around me. L2 showed up and wanted to play, so all three of us sat on the floor with underwear on our heads like wrestler masks while L1 arranged dolls.

Robin came in and laughed. I'm not sure why.

Devon said...

We want pictures Rory!!!!

janaemadsen said...

Danielle loves plastic stacking cups too! and underwear on her head...