Monday, December 14, 2009

Just Another Manic Monday

It all started this morning at 3:30 a.m. Kennady screamed, I barely regained enough consciousness to know that Ben had left the room to go get her. Oh, big mistake. Kennady decided that it was time to get up and eat dinner. You see, we went to Mike and Kari's Sunday night for dinner, and although the lasagna was delicious, Kennady had a hard time eating without her high chair and with the distraction of her friend to play with. She fell asleep on the way home and we put her to bed as soon as we got home, still dressed. She never did go back to sleep, so I went and got her and we watched Winnie the Pooh until nearly 11, when I could finally get her to go to bed. Well, anyways, Kennady awoke at 3:30 a.m. very hungry, but, because we are so mean, we would only give her bread and water to eat. You see, fruit snacks in the middle of the night might just start something that I don't want to get used to. And then back to bed. Nope. She was awake. And she wanted to play. Ben had planned to get up at 4:30 to study for his finals and finish up some projects. So Kennady stayed up with him and finished watching Winnie the Pooh. Ben let me sleep. Probably because he is very afraid of the monster that is me when I don't get my beauty rest. From his account, she did hardly any cartoon watching and lots of trouble making until she passed out around 5:30. I got up sometime after Ben left (somewhere around 10?). Kennady slept until almost 11:30. Let's just hope that fiasco was a one-time occurrence, because I am a really stinky mom at 3:30 in the morning.

She was a little angel today. Ok, not entirely, but I'd say better than most days. There were minimum tantrums and she ate 5 chicken nuggets for lunch and some carrots. She also helped me make cookies. I made a lot of cookies to give out for Christmas. Chocolate chip and snickerdoodle. Kennady helped eat the cookie dough and mix it. We had a roast and potatoes for dinner, with pepper gravy. Kennady, once again, didn't really seem interested in eating. I hear this is a phase. One that lasts a particularly long time. I figure she'll eat when she's hungry. I just hope that's not always at 3:30 in the morning.

Ben is gone. The other day we asked Kennady what daddy says, and she said "bye." Sad, yet, well, that's life. Of course she also said that mommy said moo. I have no comment. But on Friday he will be done for a few weeks and I get to have my husband back for Christmas. Well, and he has to be home by 1 a.m. every night, because the car has a curfew. If it's parked on the street it will get ticketed after 1 a.m., and if it's parked in the school parking lots, it will get towed and/or ticketed depending on whether they decide to plow or not. Seriously, if they are going to make and enforce laws and rules about parking on the streets during certain times of the year so they can plow, well, then they should plow. In the 5 years I have lived in Rexburg I have never seen a plow. And don't tell me they only come out at night, because I used to be a night owl and didn't always obey curfew, and I still never saw a plow. The only evidence I've ever seen of a plow is in front of driveways they bury. But I think they only plow in directly in front of driveways and no where else, just to be mean. Uh, yes, back to what I was saying. I'll be glad when Ben gets to be home more often. I know next semester I will see him even less than this semester. Kennady and I might go insane.

Today BYUI finally posted the Spring semester schedule, and Ben is going to graduate in July!!! Miraculously none of his classes conflicted, and so we are on the home stretch (well, 2 semesters left) but it's nice to have a time line now. Last night we were talking and we realized we have no clue what we are going to do after Ben graduates. We'll have 1 year before he starts medical school. The one thing we are not doing is staying in Rexburg. I am open to pretty much anything else. I kinda think it would be fun to throw a dart at a map or something. Ben seems to think that is insane. I am cooped up in the house with a 14 month old a lot.

And said 14 month old can be summed up by this story, taken from a day sometime last week: Kennady was getting into the trash can repeatedly because I'd thrown an empty bag of Goldfish away. I'd started by counting to 3, but she started touching it for 2 seconds and then running off screaming right before 3. So then I said, "Kennady, if you touch the trash can one more time you are going to get in trouble. I am not going to count to three." She looked up at me with that mischievous look she does so well, and then she licked the trash can!!! As I stood there in shock and disgust, she started laughing and walked off and didn't touch the trash can the rest of the day. What do you do with a kid like that? I mean, I guess she is obedient, and I just need to work on being more specific.

1 comment:

Emily said...

What a ham with the trashcan! She is trying to entertain you!