Monday, December 14, 2009

Saving Lives

I only write this post to save the lives of my computer and any personnel involved in the "updating" of the student registration system. Please feel free to disregard the following:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I knew it was too good to be true. The genius who was trying to make the registration system look cooler neglected to make in functionable. Great timing too, right before the beginning of the next semester. Isn't that what the pointless 7 week break is for, to fix things that were never broken and are used extensively during the other 45 weeks of the year? Seriously, only making the lab times readily viewable is cause for a lot of confusion and headaches, especially the one where I get my hopes up that all Ben's classes fit, only to discover the 3 hours that appear on the schedule are ONLY the labs, and the regular class hours are only found by actually clicking on the class title (which previously was only necessary if you wanted to view the syllabus, and who wants to do that?) Side note: Since when are labs 3 hours? Since we shortened the semester to 14 weeks. Brilliant. I think someone forgot to count the number of hours in a week.

Oh, and I HATE that it takes 3 times as long to look up class schedules for a semester. Seriously planning a semester of upper division classes was hard enough before it took so long that I get computer headaches. And to the person that schedules the biology department classes: Really? Did you go to school? Can you do math? Stop scheduling all upper level classes at the same time. It's not funny. And the teachers don't really appreciate all this nonsense either.

Oh, yes, and now on to the grad plan, the tool that used to let you plan out your classes for the duration of your time at BYU-Idaho, in a nice format where you could see all the classes you've taken, the ones you have to take, and shows you the options for interchangeable classes. Now it does none of this. It does, however, put a big green check and "All requirements met!" by any requirements that are met. Yay for the exclamation mark. I'm sure this program feels emotion and really gives a hoot that you've met the requirements. If, however, you have not, you will see a big red X. And no explanation or way to look to see what the requirements are. Great.

I'm starting to think this place is a black hole that sucks you in and never spits you back out. You have to claw for every inch.

Oh, what brought this rant on? Well, you see we may not be leaving Rexburg in July after all. Not unless they start offering labs online. Ok, maybe Ben can work something out with his professors, but missing parts of classes every week is not very helpful.

1 comment:

Rob & Kristi Nelson said...

Ben must be getting close to graduating if you to are having this many problems. I swear it's and unwritten law thats says the last three semesters must be hell!

Just hanging in there you to are so so so close.