Monday, December 7, 2009

Unaccompanied Minors

Well I can't seem to remember what's happened since the last post. Sometime on Friday I started feeling icky and by Saturday morning I had a full blown sinus infection, complete with whole head throbbing. We had a family outing that morning to receive our H1N1 vaccinations. Kennady knew what was coming and started screaming before they even stuck her. Poor child. I spent the rest of the day on the couch, semi-drugged, dozing in and out of consciousness. Ben had to go study. Kennady had pretty much free reign of the apartment. I can only imagine what Ben thought when he returned home several hours later. "Is that cereal bar ground into the carpet? Did you let her eat a cereal bar in the living room?" Um, I don't know, and probably. There was a lot of stupid movie watching. Alfred Hitchcock's ¨The Birds." Gotta love it. Ben had never seen it before, and I felt the need to explain to him why I sometimes find birds a little creepy. Ben did most of the cooking- spaghetti (he made the sauce from scratch, successfully this time), and white chicken chili.

By last night I was feeling better and hungry, so we made sugar cookies. I love sugar cookies, but the deliciousness/pain in the butt factor is kinda low, so I don't make them often. I made the dough, chilled it for 2 hours, and took it out to roll it. It was a crumbly mess. Sad to see such tasty cookie dough go to waste, as I could think of no way to salvage it. And then I thought I'd just add some sour cream. Worked like a charm, and after adding a little more flour to compensate for the over addition of sour cream, I had rollable cookie dough. Which I made into mostly hearts, some stars and a few angels (we only own 5 cookie cutters, 3 of which are hearts). Then we frosted them mint green and purple. We let Kennady pick the colors.

While I was wrestling the cookie dough, Ben was watching Kennady and cleaning up the kitchen. We set he on the counter and Ben put water in a pot in the sink for her to splash in. He turned around to talk to me for a second, standing right in front of Kennady to shield me and the cookies from the splashing, and when I looked up Kennady had decided she wanted to take a bath. Here's the video.

Yes, that is her Sunday dress she is wearing. And what's more, is she then turned on the faucet. I guess that's what we get for ignoring her first 50 requests for a bath that day. When Ben took her out (she climbed back in after the video) she started screaming and the only thing we could do was give her a real bath. Do normal children ask for baths 50 times a day?

Alright, I need some help. I've gotten stuck in a rut of reading books that have been made into movies. Unfortunately the books I've chosen to read are the rare variety that are actually not as good as their movie counterparts, well I'm assuming, because I haven't actually seen the movies. The problem is that every time I go to the library I wander around like I am lost, well, because mostly I am. Occasionally I hear of a good book, but good books seem to always be checked out at the library. So I need a good book that is not currently a high-demand read. Any thoughts?

Alright, so the good news is that I am feeling much better today. So my supervisory responsibilities as a parent are being more dutifully fulfilled. Kennady did manage to spill an entire bag of Goldfish on the living room floor, not because I wasn't watching, but because I wasn't quick enough to see her look of "I like to get my own Goldfish out of the bag" turn into "I bet these would be more fun to eat off the floor" look. Did you know that colored Goldfish crumbs look a lot like fish food? Kind of ironic.

Well, although Kennady is still asleep, if I blog much longer I'll probably say something dumb.

2 comments:

Rory said...

Like Sci-fi? Ever read the Uplift series? David Brin. Makes me happy.

Rob & Kristi Nelson said...

I love that video! colds sure are no fun. If you find a way to get over then faster please let m know. I could use that secret recipe right now.