Um, I've been stuck in this week forever already, and there's still a lot of it left. Maybe it seems that way because all my days and weeks just kinda blend together, because they are all relatively the same. Or because next week is a super exciting week filled with differentness and delicious food, and of course, the time preceding awesomeness must drag on making one wonder if they will ever truly get there. But rest assured, Thanksgiving is coming. Mashed potatoes, Stove Top stuffing chicken flavored, deviled eggs, pumpkin pie, cinnamon rolls, cookies, and, well, turkey. Turkey isn't my favorite. I'd much prefer a honey ham, but turkey is tradition and I'll let Ben win without any argument on this one.
Our plans for Thanksgiving? I wish I knew. See originally we were going to go to Utah and have time with all of Ben's family- they were going to drive in from Oregon. And then they decided not to. So then we considered driving to Oregon, but after consulting the budget and the 1 year who absolutely hates to be restrained, we thought we might try our hands at cooking turkey this year. Luckily I haven't bought a turkey yet. Because it seems that the fam might go to Utah after all. We will be going at least some of the break regardless, so Ben can help Rob work on the house. (Hey, Kristi, if you're reading, we're headed your way ... sometime....) When we go and how long we stay depends on several things: Whether or not the Nelsons of Oregon go and when they arrive and depart; how long it take Ben to finish his OChem test on Friday (although I am thinking it might be timed); when and if my sister needs help moving.
Oh, yes, my sister is buying a house. They are closing on Friday, I'll keep my fingers crossed for them. Somehow this seems slightly unfair, because I'm older and forever doomed to live in a rental (ok, not forever just until Ben finishes med school, and a residency....see, sounds like forever, doesn't it?) But, on the other hand, it is a house in Idaho, which is somewhere near the bottom of my list of "Top 50 states I'd Like to Live In", somewhere right above North Dakota, and way way down from Florida. And at least we'll have somewhere free to store our stuff, right?
Kennady. Oh dear. She is way too smart for my good. She knows that I don't do things until I get to three, and so there's always 2 seconds of trouble making, followed by a pause, followed by another 2 seconds of trouble making.... lather, rinse, repeat. Today I told her the next time she got in the trash can I was only counting to two. She randomly decides she won't eat, and for that period of time you can get nothing past her lips unless its first listed ingredient is sugar. Tonight we did not give in. She sat in her high chair all through dinner, refusing to eat, and then when dinner time was over, she got down and played. Eventually she agreed to be hungry, and we put her back in the high chair. Ben and I ate ice-cream and she got none. We used this moment to teach her that dessert is only for those who eat their dinner. She conceded to eat macaroni and cheese. Somehow this did not feel victorious. My mother seemed to think she did not eat dinner because it was squash.
Spaghetti squash, with, well, spaghetti sauce. I'm so creative. It was my first attempt at this weird vegetable, and it was ok. Not great, but ok. I am still waiting for someone to give me a recipe made entirely out of vegetables that goes on my great list. I kinda think that when people say that weird recipes are delicious that they either really need to try more food or that it's been a long time since they did.
And tonight I nearly finished very long-going project. Kendra's Christmas present. From last year. Uh, yeah, I know, bad sister, but I'm not the only sibling to ever not gift. Mostly I am glad that I waited, because I've learned a lot about sewing since then, so it turned out a lot better this way. Sure, there were a few bloopers, like when I spilled the whole box of pins all over the floor or forgot to leave a place to turn the apron. But it looks pretty so far. Just the finishing touches left. And Kennady's quilt. Well, I have the front done, and now I have no idea what to do. Put it together, right? So I looked up how to do this online, and well, there is a lot I didn't know I didn't know about making a quilt. Enough that if I had known, I never would have started this endeavor in the first place. It seemed simple enough in my head, sew pieces together to make a front, batting in the middle and a back. Well, somehow the front is 10 inches short lengthwise and the back is 4 inches short width wise. This might be a square quilt- for a doll. Most of this I blame on the stupid Minkee fabric, not my math skills, and partially my sewing skills. I think I might add quilt making to my list of "Well, that was fun, but I don't think I'll ever do it again anytime soon", right up there next to having children.
Alright, it is late and now that Ben has returned from his real place of residence, I can and should go to bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment