Swimming with sharks, wrestling with alligators, taming lions. They all pale in comparison to baby wrangling. Someone should put up a sign- Caution: Motherhood may cause loss of hair (from pulling it out), reverting to earlier evolutionary stages, loss of romance, obesity, hunger, insomnia, metal fogginess, forgetfulness and paranoia.
So it's been awhile since I blogged. The video was not posted by me, but by Ben. Ben started work a little over a week ago, leaving me home with Kennady all day. Just her and me. Monday through Wednesday I didn't leave the house, and I think I changed clothes- from pajamas to another pair of pajamas- somewhere in there. Kennady loves her dad and was very angry that he was not there all day to play with her. She likes to run around the house, and while I do try, I'm just not as good at it as Dad. So I had a fussy baby who liked to scream at me and would sleep only while I was holding and rocking her. On top of the daddy withdrawals, I think she is going through a growth spurt, because she is eating every 30 minutes to hour and a half, and sleeping a ton. And she was waking up in the middle of the night to eat. After 3 days of missing breakfast and lunch and not showering and not leaving the house, I felt more like an ape than a human. Then I figured out I was probably doing something wrong and needed to change my tactics. No more waiting for the little monkey to sleep before getting a shower.
Thursday I got up with Kennady fed her, fed myself, and then set her in her bouncer in the bathroom and gave her her toys (now she finds them mildly entertaining). I finished shampooing, conditioning and rinsing my hair before she started screaming. After playing with her to calm her down, I used the blow dryer. Wow. Kennady was perplexed by the blow dryer and thought getting her own hair dryed was funny. Sucess. After eating lunch, we borrowed Grandma's car and got out of the house. We visited Grandma and her friends at work. Kennady thought that was pretty funny too. And then we went for a long drive all over town, and Kennady slept peacefully in her car seat. I was trying to get Ben's Valentine's Day gift, but I had a really hard time finding what I wanted. I finally found something that would work. I think it turned out great, and I'll post pictures of it sometime soon. That night Ben watched Kennady for 2 hours and I went to my belly dancing class. It was really fun and by the end I felt much more human and a lot less ape.
Valentine's day. Just not quite the same with the third wheel. Last year I got a scavenger hunt with diamond earrings at the end and a nice romantic date. I worked for weeks on a video for Ben. This year I framed some pictures and Ben...well, he's still working on it. We went to Mazzio's (a pizza place) and had just enough time to get our pizza before the shrieks of our child prompted us to get a to-go box and return home. Our evening at home was fun and might have even been quiet, if not for the apple core that somehow ended up bonking Kennady on the head.
Monday I did some tutoring for math- College Algebra. I took the class as a Junior in high school, which was 6 1/2 years ago. After some digging, I was able to find my brain, burried in a closet somewhere. I was surprised to find it still works while not in close proximity to my child.
Mmm, the monkey is awake. Goodbye.
3 comments:
You're so funny! You do a great job of capturing both the thrills and the doldrums of Motherhood. Keep up the good work!
How old is baby Kennedy now? I don not know if anyone else caught on but... Kennedy thought the hair drier was an amazing gadget so this must have been her first encounter. Kortney, how long HAS it been since you previously washed your hair? :D
Love you all and hope you are having a great week.
P.S. my verification word is herweepr, as in Kennedy is Kortney's or "her weeper."
I keep spelling Kennady as Kennedy. Sorry
Post a Comment