We went in for our first doctor's checkup yesterday. We didn't actually see the Dr., it was a midwife who did the exam. It was amazing! All except the blood draw; she had to prick her twice and that was our least favorite part. I think I could have done better :) At the end of the exam she brought out what looked like a little walkman with a microphone and put the mike on Kortney's belly. We heard the tiny chugging sound of a heart racing about 170 bpm. It was an intense feeling to hear evidence of a living growing person! We were ecstatic!
Well, maybe Ben thought the exam was amazing, but I wasn't so enthusiastic. The midwife had to dig for a vein and it was really painful. I was hoping to have an official due date, but no such luck. She seemed to think I was a little large for my date and thinks I might be further along than we had thought. So we have an official due date range October 25 - November 5. And since most kids are usually born within 10 days before or after their due date, I figure somewhere between Oct 15 and Nov 15. In about 2 months they will do an ultrasound and should be able to give us a little better idea, I hope. We were very surprised to hear the heartbeat. It's not very often that you can hear it before 10 weeks, but she said she would check, just in case. And there it was! It was crazy. I still don't think I realize there is a little baby growing inside me, but it made it a little more real. Ben also jinxed me. When the midwife asked if I had been sick, I said that I hadn't, and Ben said, "Not yet." Even the midwife was taken aback that he would jinx me like that. So, low and behold, yesterday and today have been the worst so far in this pregnancy. I'd be OK if I could say that 8 months from now. I am hoping for a better day tomorrow. For Ben's sake. I'd hate to be the one to jinx a pregnant lady.
Me too.
Well, maybe Ben thought the exam was amazing, but I wasn't so enthusiastic. The midwife had to dig for a vein and it was really painful. I was hoping to have an official due date, but no such luck. She seemed to think I was a little large for my date and thinks I might be further along than we had thought. So we have an official due date range October 25 - November 5. And since most kids are usually born within 10 days before or after their due date, I figure somewhere between Oct 15 and Nov 15. In about 2 months they will do an ultrasound and should be able to give us a little better idea, I hope. We were very surprised to hear the heartbeat. It's not very often that you can hear it before 10 weeks, but she said she would check, just in case. And there it was! It was crazy. I still don't think I realize there is a little baby growing inside me, but it made it a little more real. Ben also jinxed me. When the midwife asked if I had been sick, I said that I hadn't, and Ben said, "Not yet." Even the midwife was taken aback that he would jinx me like that. So, low and behold, yesterday and today have been the worst so far in this pregnancy. I'd be OK if I could say that 8 months from now. I am hoping for a better day tomorrow. For Ben's sake. I'd hate to be the one to jinx a pregnant lady.
Me too.
2 comments:
Congrats on your baby! I hope that your sickness goes away. (I'm Ben's cousin, Claire, and I found your site through my sister's blog.
How exciting- did they tell you it was probably a girl with the fast heartbeat? I heard that- and it was a girl but it still might be an old wives tale. Sorry you were sick- how sad for you and Ben. Are you going to a midwife? My doctor said they usually have more natural births without complications and are more calming. (of course maybe that's because a doctor has to come if there are problems) I am so excited for you!
Post a Comment