Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I Might Be a Little Crazy

Yes, it is true. And I do know that most of you were already aware of this. I like to come up with crazy schemes. It's why I rock at Rummikub.

One recent scheme involved going to Disneyland. Which seemed nearly impossible on the budget of a student and stay-at-home mom. But then, free tickets to Disneyland via the Give a Day, Get a Day program, for which I made blankets and donated them to a local hospital. And Allegiant Air decided to fly to LA starting in July, so we got super cheap introductory fares that were cheaper than driving. Awesomeness (especially considering our car is sans air conditioning). And then I had to book a hotel. Boo. Why so expensive? Probably because we want to stay within walking distance of Disneyland (I think it's a necessity with a not even 2 year old). However, after a lot of researching, I found where I wanted to stay, and how much I thought I should have to pay to stay there. Then I called the hotel. And I haggled with the reservationist. I ended up getting an unpublished and fully refundable (as long as we cancel 24 hours before check-in) rate. And we got the hotel using "play money" which is the money I collect that doesn't belong anywhere (like when we have leftover in the budget for the month or I sell a cake or find a dollar). And there's enough left over to rent a car. And maybe even get a piece of cheesecake at The Cheesecake Factory. I might resort to panhandling or fountain diving if there isn't.

Here's my next crazy scheme: I want a new camera. I really really want a DSLR. However, I feel like first I need a smaller, faster and easier to use camera, so I can have something to take with us to Disneyland and all the other places we go (or don't go...it'd be nice for when Kennady does something silly). So eventually a DSLR, but for now just a Nikon or Cannon point and shoot. The only problem is that every time I even think about saving up for it, we get some other unexpected expense, and my would-be camera fund disappears. Because, well, paying medical bills is probably more important than buying a camera, especially since I have one that is technically functional (just really really slow and really big). So here's the scheme part. I'm going to buy it using Amazon gift cards that I acquire from doing silly things on the internet, like taking surveys and other things that grossly under pay me for my time. So far I have $45 in Amazon gift cards (plus add $5 that I was supposed to have, but it got spent on Ben's book). Sweetness. I've been working on it since May. So I'm not sure I'll make it by September, but maybe I'll just use what I have and call the rest an early birthday present to myself. If you want to help me out, join swagbucks, and you can earn free gift cards too, and plus I'll earn swagbucks when you do. Like a pyramid scheme, but with fake money. The link is at the bottom of the blog in that weird looking box.

Any suggestions on which camera to buy? Remember, Nikon or Cannon (ok, I will take other suggestions, but you'll have to be pretty persuasive). And it needs to be little, but I like a lot of optical zoom.

The other silly thing I do? I have a shelf in our pantry for my collection of free stuff I get. I'm pretty sure I'm never paying for shampoo or toothpaste again. And I got up at 7 am to go the grocery store, where I only spent $3 for a whole ton of food. If we could live off of fruit snacks and cereal, our food storage would be in good shape. Hmm... maybe you can live off of fruit snacks and cereal.

I'm sure I'll have more crazy schemes to share in the near future, because I'm always thinking up something crazy.

3 comments:

Rob & Kristi Nelson said...

well you already know which camra i would pick! CANON! But the choices is most defenitly yours!

I hope you have a blast in disney land! Fruti snakes will go great with your air plane ride!

mk said...

We won a Nikon Coolpix from the BYU Bookstore a couple of months ago and I really like it. And I loved my Nikon D60 before we sold it. I want another one BADLY.

I hope you have fun at Disneyland!

And ... share the details on your free Amazon giftcards, because I so want to join in on that craziness.

Unknown said...

I have a power shot cannon...it is quite nice and the price was low...which was essential!