Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Weekend of Fiascos and Super Romantic Dates

Well it's been one crazy fun-filled weekend. Friday night Ben had a late lab. I decided to be super woman that day for some reason and actually got Kennady bathed and dressed, ate 2 square meals, worked out and cleaned the house (minus the kitchen...hey I do what I can). So I get all this done and realize that Ben will be home any minute and I really wanted to have dinner for him. Kennady of course is being a monkey and I am out of candy necklaces. So I attempt to make dinner with her underfoot. Spaghetti. Easy enough, right? Our biggest disasters seem to involve spaghetti. Don't know what I am talking about, see here. So I put the frozen meatballs in the oven to cook. Put the water on the stove to boil, add the noodles and put together the spaghetti sauce. All the while I am trying to clean up my tiny kitchen so I have a little room. Kennady is climbing in the dishwasher pulling out dirty dishes as I put them in. The pot starts to boil over. I quickly stop that. Kennady is hanging on my leg. I start to smell smoke. I realize that the meatballs are a lot greasier than I'd counted on and the cookie sheet was not sufficient to keep the grease from spilling all over the oven. So I am trying to sop up the grease with a paper towel before even more gets all over the oven, the meatballs are burning, I'm keeping Kennady out of the kitchen with a contraption made up of our refrigerator door, a couple of chairs and my leg. And then I realize I have about 5 seconds before the smoke alarm goes off. I toss the pan of meatballs on the stove on top of the pan of boiling noodles (our kitchen is small) and open all the windows. Then I go to move the meatballs off the boiling pot, spill grease all over the stove and knock the lid into the skillet of spaghetti sauce, knocking the spoon off and spaghetti sauce all over the oven, cabinets and floor. And myself, and it burns. By the time Ben gets home everything is covered in spaghetti sauce, the food is cold (because the windows were all open), the meatballs are burnt and Kennady refused to eat any spaghetti. PS he was over a half hour late getting home.

Despite the dinner fiasco, the rest of the evening was pretty nice. Ben helped clean up and helped Kennady get to bed before he went back to school to study. Saturday Ben had tests and studying for the morning so Kennady and I hung out at home. Ben got the day off so we had our fun date that night. We went out to dinner at Fong's, the Chinese restaurant where we had our first date. Which, if you are familiar with the place, isn't super romantic to begin with. Well, add in a 15 month old that climbs all over tables, refuses to eat anything that isn't dipped (more on that later) and likes to play with soy sauce... well there wasn't a whole lot of good conversation. It was fun though. Then we went to play mini golf. I thought Kennady would enjoy it. Not so much. She really liked climbing all over the obstacles on the course, and stealing golf balls and throwing them in the holes, and well just plain throwing them. So we traded in her golf ticket for a playland ticket. And we tried to finish our mini game golf. Then we took her to the indoor playland (think McDonald's playplace). She had tons of fun climbing and going down the slides. I discovered that it's only $3 to come and play there the whole day. So I think we might have to go back some time. Ben and I both thought it was a super fun date, and we didn't have to find a sitter.

Then we came home, put Kennady to bed and tried to find a movie to watch instantly on Netflix. We watched the Core. It was a terribly stupid movie about setting off nuclear bombs in the Earth's core to get it to start spinning again.

And tomorrow Ben doesn't have classes. Instead he is going with me to babysit. This weekend has been fun just getting to spend time together. Maybe we'll do the big romantic alone date thing for Ben's birthday in a week or so when all our sitters aren't tied up and there aren't ridiculously long waits at restaurants.

No comments: