It never ceases to amaze me the trouble that Kennady can find to get into. Especially when I am preoccupied with doing other things than watching her every move- like cleaning the kitchen. While doing said task, Kennady was playing in her room, which I had previously thought to be childproof. She was playing the piano, so I could hear her and knew she was alive and well. And then I noticed that the piano started turning into different instruments. And then I thought, wait, how can she reach those buttons?

This is how. Apparently she figured out how to climb on chairs. Later that same day she ran in the kitchen saying something about a snack and by the time I got in there to get her one, she'd climbed on the chair, then onto the table and into her high chair. Ahh! Now she climbs everything. She climbs onto the couch, then onto the bookshelf and sits in one of the shelves- after she throws everything off the shelf.
So last night and today we've been doing some toddler proofing. We moved the tall bookshelf into our room, which locks, and moved the small bookshelf into the living room- no where near the couch. Our chairs all fold, so we just fold them and put them away when we aren't using them. We moved the piano bench in front of the window- which kills two birds, because now she can't climb on the piano, but can see out the window without falling off the couch. And then I decided to giver her a safe climbing environment, since I know she will just find something else if I don't. I put her kiddie chairs and table next to the couch, so she can climb from the chair, to the table to the couch, jump off and then do it all again. It's very entertaining, or so she thinks. And she can do it all without climbing any higher than her head (uh, that's safe, right?) and on a carpeted floor.
Today I was trying to make dinner and Kennady was greatly slowing the process (aka making it nearly impossible because she was hanging on my leg and blocking all the cabinets/oven by opening every single door). She has decided that she only takes one nap a day now :( So I was trying to think what I could do to keep her out of the kitchen and happy. So I gave her a candy necklace.

It worked like a charm. By the time I got dinner in the over there was candy necklace dust covering her, her clothes, the kiddie chairs and table, and the couch. A damp rag fixed it in less than a minute. Now she knows the word "candy" and asks for it repeatedly. When I say no, she throws a fit. I tell her she can throw a fit and she can get a timeout, or she can go play, but either way she's not getting candy. Sometimes she chooses the timeout.

And this is the apron I made for Kennady's friend Dana. Kennady had fun at the party and was the only little kid there (the others got sick).
5 comments:
way to make your own jungle gym. I think it sound very fun and safe. Has she climbed in anything and got stuck. Russell dosen't climb much but when he does it seems that he find places he really doesn't fit.
oh my gosh, the pic of her standing on the piano is hilarious! I'm glad nothing happened! Sounds like life is getting busier :)
Ahahaha. That pictures is fantastic. Isn't it funny to have a love/hate relationship with these crazy things our kids do? It's horrifying yet you have the best photo ops in those moments... :)
She is so cute and it sounds like she's getting so grown up!
I love your way of embracing the situation and giving her something safe to climb on! Awesome.
Hehehehehe..! ;)
Dang! I should not have laughed. Now Charity is climbing more and more, book shelves, and etc. She has figured out how to climb the baby gate too!
Post a Comment