Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Rain Cloud

There has been a rain cloud following me around for the past couple of days. I feel a little like Eeyore. It keeps raining every morning and has messed up my running. Grrr. I ran again on Saturday and felt good that I was able to run a little further. I also discovered that my route is 2 miles, which is about double what I was thinking. I was trying to figure out how far I ran, so I typed "how far did I run" into Google, and out popped an answer. I love Google. Actually it directed me to this site. Pretty cool tool. Anyways, now the weather has decided that it needs to rain every morning, which really throws a kink into my newly established routine. I've thought about going later in the day, but it's so nasty hot and muggy that I can't bring myself to do it. You have to remember that I don't particularly care for running in the first place.

Also, Sunday, which is normally my peaceful restful day left me wanting to pull my hair out. Having two callings is challenging this week. After this coming Saturday's fundraiser for Girls' Camp, things should settle down a little. Speaking of, if you read my blog and live anywhere near Branson, please, please, please come to our pancake breakfast Saturday from 8:30 to 10:30. I would consider it a giant favor to me and would owe you one giant favor.

And then today. The disaster of days. Well, perhaps it wasn't that dire, but definitely the worst out of my bad days this week. Kennady, the monkey that she is, managed to pull a 20 lbs. hand weights off a chair and onto her foot. Normally I don't like to ruin the end of my stories, but to save all of you from tremendous worry, I will. She is fine, her foot is not broken, just a little bruised and it hasn't slowed her down one bit. Not even the Tylenol. So, it was swelling and turning colors, and we thought we should get it X-rayed just to be sure (Ben will tell you I was freaking out, but I wasn't, I was just a concerned mother). So I called the Skaggs network, which is the network here that is a provider for our insurance. I've called them several times in the past trying to get her Well Child checks, and they've been uncooperative, telling me they aren't accepting new patients, even though our insurance company assures me they are. Basically they think we are tourists and don't want to hastle with us and always tell us to go to the urgent care clinic. Which, like I'm going to pay a bazillion dollars for them to weigh and measure my kid at the urgent care clinic when they do it for free at WIC. So I tried to get an apointment for today or early tomorrow, carefully avoiding any questions like "How long have you lived here?" No dice. They tell me to take her to the urgent care clinic. (Please excuse the italics, I have no idea where they came from or how to get rid of them). So we did, but not to Skaggs urgent care clinic, because if I have to pay a bazillion dollars, I would rather they not get it. To the Branson walk-in clinic, which was actually only $50 for an office visit, but still not as cheap as my co-pay. The doctor looks at her foot and tells us what we already knew- hmm, that might be broken, so you should probably get an x-ray. And then he writes an order for an x-ray, which we cannot do. Because she is so little (and because their x-ray machine is broken) we have to go to the Outpatient center at Skaggs. Blah. So we get the x-ray and wait around for the radiologist to get back from lunch and then the nurse comes out and says "You're good to go." Um, ok, what does that mean? Is her foot broken? What did the x-rays show. "You'll have to talk to your doctor about that." "Can we have a copy of the results?" "No, you'll have to talk to your doctor." "We don't have a doctor, we went to an urgent care clinic because none of your stupid doctors will accept her as a patient." (Ok, maybe I didn't actually say the because part). "Well, then, you'll just have to go back." Grr. Drive back to the clinic. The doctor says "What are you doing here? They told us that they told you to go home and that her foot wasn't broken and the x-rays looked fine." "Um, no, they told us we had to come back." "That's Skaggs for you." Grrr. Grrr. Grrr.

I really hope this rain cloud evaporates overnite.

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

That is so frustrating! I'm glad her foot wasn't broken though!

Good luck with the rain. You could be like some of the crazy people here and go running anyway! rain or shine! :p