Friday, July 31, 2009

Just the Two of Us

First, here are a couple of pictures of Kennady. Mostly because she's really not included in the rest of this post, because we left her at home for 2 days. I picked the top one because you can see her two bottom teeth. I've been trying to get a picture for a long time, and I finally succeeded. The one below I picked because it's so cute, and probably one of the last pictures I'll get of bathing her in the sink- she is getting way too big!


Finally, a much needed vacation! I know I have been whining about it all summer. On Sunday evening we finally got everything packed for us, and for Kennady and headed up to St. Louis. Thanks to Priceline we were able to get a sweet hotel for an even sweeter deal. The Crowne Plaza downtown for $50 a night. After leaving later than we had planned, we got up there pretty late. We did explore the hotel and take a stroll around downtown. Ben loved the big city. I was a little apprehensive- a lot of people, a lot of noise, and so many tall buildings you can't see where you are! Ben would love to live right downtown, but I think I'm more of a suburb kind of person.

Oh, maybe I failed to mention the whole reason we went. It was our 2nd anniversary. Ben surprised me with a song he wrote me. It was awesome. He spent a lot of time putting it all together, even learning how to play the guitar. I got him a card, a book and some chocolate. I would say his gift to me was definitely the better of the two.

Monday we slept in, after an uninterrupted night's sleep. It felt so nice! Then we headed to the Science Center, because we are just a couple of nerds, and we enjoyed it. I was disappointed that the structures feature was under renovation, so we didn't get to build the arch. Then we drove back to the hotel, took advantage of our parking garage and walked the rest of the day. We strolled all over downtown. There was a Cardinal's game that night, so there were thousands of people dressed in red and white heading for the stadium. We checked out some cool city parks with fountains and then went to Union Station. We rode paddle boats on the manmade pond and got some lemonade. We thought about eating at Hard Rock cafe, but weren't impressed when we went inside. Then we headed back across town (still on foot) and went to the Old Spaghetti Factory. I love that place, the food's pretty good, but I just like the atmosphere, which I guess isn't extremely romantic, but we liked the guy making balloon animals. Ben even got him to make me a flower.

Then we went up in the arch, and got to watch some of the Cardinals' game. Well, we would have if we had binoculars. Then back to our hotel and checked out the pool on the roof. Pretty cool. Awesome views.

Tuesday we slept in once again. Then we got to go to the temple, which, as always, was wonderful. It will be nice when we live a lot closer and we can go more often. Then to lunch. We went to Chili's and then cheesecake to go from the Cheesecake Factory. I tried to convince Ben that we should bring home an entire cheesecake, but we didn't have a cooler and the lady didn't think it was a good idea to leave it in the car all day. Oh, did I mention that I got sick on our trip? Yes, a nasty cold. So by this time I was pretty miserable, but still considering Six Flags. And then it started to pour. So we decided no Six Flags. We stopped at WalMart, bought cold medicine, kleenexes, cough drops and water. Then Ben drove and I took nighttime cold medicine and slept a good part of the way home.

And the best part was that I didn't worry about my baby the whole time, because we had awesome babysitters. Thanks Aunt Nana, Grandma and the Allphins! We heard Kennady was a great baby the whole time we were gone. It makes me wonder if I am doing something wrong. Mostly I think she is just a stinker to me because I am mom.

Well yesterday we realized that Ben has this entire weekend off, and so we thought we wanted to go do something. We decided we would go up to Nauvoo. And then we got permission from Dan's mission president to take him and his companion out to lunch! We are so excited. And Kennady has never met her uncle Dan before. So today we have been trying to get everything ready to go. Did I mention we are camping on Saturday night? Yeah, so tents and food and laundry. And then, of course, I have to make Dan some cinnamon rolls. I didn't quite realize they would take me all day. Maybe I wasn't doing them right, but they sure taste good! I was nervous to make the famous Nelson cinnamon rolls, afraid I would mess them up, but I think it went well for my first try. I almost just made a half recipe, and then decided I might as well make the full recipe. Good thing, because I'm not sure Dan would get any if I hadn't.

No comments: