Thursday, May 7, 2009

Mind Your Own Business

So my friend Chelsea just posted about an outing to McDonald's where some self-righteous jerk decided to meddle in someone else's parenting. Spanking is not beating. Sure, maybe there are some better tactics for dealing with your kids (although I know a few kids that could benefit from it), but a good swat on the butt is not out of line. I don't know what it is about having kids that suddenly makes you the stupidest person around, because it seems like the parents never know best, or at least everyone else thinks they know better. If you have a child people seem to think that gives them license to invade your space, and your business.

I can't go anywhere or get anything in a reasonable amount of time. Yes, it takes forever to change, feed and dress Kennady, load her diaper bag, put her in her carseat, put her in the car, make sure she has enough toys, get her out of the carseat and into her stroller, the cart or high chair depending on where we happen to be going. But that's not even the time consuming part of it. Every female, and the occasional male (usually old) has to stop us, get in her face and say hi. Ok, I know she's cute, and I know that's half my fault, and most of the time I just feel flattered. But yesterday we Mom and I went out to dinner and I couldn't even get my food because every waitress had to come talk to the baby. Maybe she needs a onesie that says "I'm six months old and my name is Kennady, and, yes, I know I am cute." Then at least I wouldn't have to talk to so many people. The bigger issue for me, and perhaps I am a slight germaphobe, is that they feel the need to touch her. At some point I am going to have to get rude.

The other problem I encounter is that because Kennady is so small for her age, strangers feel the need to look out for her. For instance, last week we went to WalMart. I've bought a shopping cart cover (the germaphobe thing again) which not only keeps her entertained, but it's padded for when she makes her fearless lunges at things she wants. And of course I strapped her in. But, as we neared the fake flowers, Kennady decided she wanted to touch them more than she wanted to remain sitting, and fell over. The lady passing me gasped in horror and proceeded to tell me that she was too young to be sitting in the cart. Kennady, in the mean time, has been replaced to her upright position and is distracted by the flowers I've put into the cart. I give her a dirty look and continue my shopping as she walks on muttering under her breath.

It doesn't take a village to raise a child. It takes a family. And complete strangers can just mind their own business.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen. I have gotten two encounters similar that have really annoyed me.

I could go on and on. That's funny that you are having the same problems.

Chelsea said...

I have definitely disagreed with some things I've seen parents do with their kids, but it's true, it's no one elses business. Unless what they are doing directly affects you, butt out, right?

Anyway, I'm not even a parent yet, but that's rediculous that other people stick their noses into your personal business like that...

Stimpson Family said...

You know I will get into another's business on truly serious things like someone actually beating a kid or leaving their baby in a car on a hot summer day. But you are right, those little things are only your business and your decision alone. Some weird girl at Walmart actually followed us around the store walking right along side our cart to see our baby.

My friend's baby is sooo tiny, but perfectly in line developmentally. He is 9 months and is the same size as my 4 month old (who is little too). He's in the 3rd percentile for his age. I can only imagine what his parents have to face.

As annoying meddling can and will get, I will be grateful for the day when it helps us. When the strangers see what I miss. When they catch my baby from falling out of the cart when my head is turned or such a case.