Thursday, November 13, 2008

Hunger

There are some things, that no matter how hard you try, you can never be fully prepared for. I think being a mother (or probably a father too, although I have no experience with that one) is one of those things. Sure, I knew I would be pooped on, and peed on, get no sleep, wish I had some very good earplugs and be physically and emotionally drained. Really, it's not been nearly as bad as everyone was making me think. Perhaps that is because I have a very good baby who only cries when she is hungry, and it's not the ear-piercing, deafening scream I have heard come out of some children. Kennady's been on a fairly good schedule, she eats for 30 minutes to an hour and then sleeps anywhere between 2 to 4 hours. At some point during the day she is awake for around an hour, just content, wide-eyed and happy to be looking around. And then comes the night, which most parents dread. She sleeps for 5 hours. A year ago I would have thought this was not enough sleep to survive on. Five hours of uninterrupted sleep seems like a really long time after being pregnant. After the 5 hours of sleep, she eats for awhile and then returns to slumber land for another 3 or 4 hours.

And then yesterday happened. Or should I say yesterday I don't know what happened.

She ate and ate and ate and ate and ate. As many "ates" as there are "walks" in that pioneer children primary song- all the verses. I was warned about "frequency days"- days in which it would seem like she was eating all day long. I was told "seems like." But really, she did. Oh why, oh why, did I marry the hungriest guy I've ever met? That undeniably handsome man has passed his voracious hunger onto his sweet, innocent daughter. If I had had a list of things to get done yesterday, I probably would have cried when at the end of the day there was not a single check mark. Fortunately the feeding frenzy started early enough that I didn't even have time to make a list. Now I know some of you are thinking I am exaggerating (perhaps maybe a little), but for all of those skeptics, here's some quantifiable data. Yesterday I read a book. The first of the Twilight series (more on that later). I read somewhere around 40 pages on Tuesday. Yesterday I finished the book. 498 pages. Plus the unnumbered prologue and first chapter of the next book in the series- I'm guessing it's right around 40 pages.

Really, because I enjoy reading so much, the day wasn't half bad. Ben even went out and got me a rootbeer float. Mostly I just got annoyed when I really wanted to go to sleep and she still wanted to eat. I sometimes wonder if babies are like goldfish and can eat too much because they don't know when they are full. Today seems like a mostly normal really good baby day, so perhaps I will make it out of the house to get the mail.

About the book. Don't worry, I won't turn this post into a book review. Mom was looking for a book to read while she was here, so I suggested the series because everyone else is raving about it. Mostly I wanted her to read it so she could tell me if it was actually any good, because one of my biggest pet peeves is starting into a book that sucks and then having to debate whether or not to finish it. I hate leaving books half read, but I also hate dragging myself through a miserable plot, and then it always takes me four times as long to finish a stupid book than a good book, wasting good book reading time. Anyways, it passed Mom's test, and she bought the next book in the series and left the first for me to read (plus this way I didn't have to buy the book). Mostly I'm hooked. Vampires-intriguing, the love story-cheesy. It's an uncomplicated read, which is all my new mother brain can handle. I'm trying to convince myself that I have many other projects to work on before I can devour the second, third and fourth books. I think I will throw up though when people start comparing it to Pride and Prejudice. Now I can go and see the movie and not have it (or rude people) ruin the book for me.

Now I need lunch.

2 comments:

The Ballard Family said...

Haha, I like this post because I can totally relate. Every once of my babies were hungry ones too. From the time they were born to the time I finally threw up my hands and gave up the nursing, they would eat for an hour at a time...every two hours. Oh my, just thinking of those days...nurse for an hour, off for an hour, nurse for an hour, off for an hour. Yes, even at nighttime. I hope this is a passing phase for your little one because I know all too well the sleep-deprived, "my body is never my own" insanity that will soon come... :) Haha, I also think it's neat that she'll let you read while you feed her! My babies would scream and pull away if I tried to do anything else with my hands. Sometimes, that included using a tv remote.
I, also, am a goal-setter...to-do list maker. And those first few months of motherhood can make you feel like you're not accomplishing anything. But, (I'll say it just like everyone else said it to me and I rolled my eyes and half-ignored...) you're doing a very important something. Getting your sweetie started on life...giving her what she needs. And it sounds like you're doing a great job!
I didn't much like the first book of the Twilight series. I was a bit irritated that others had given it such rave reviews. I thought it was plain and uninspiring. Then I kept reading. And became one of those annoying fans counting down the days to the movie.
I hope you catch the fever too. :)
Good luck with everything. She is adorable!

Joel & Lila said...

sounds like she is having a growth spert....love those