Once upon a time there was this crazy pregnant lady. It was me. Now you know this story should be good.
First, let it be known that I am severely sleep deprived right now. Yep, welcome third trimester and all the sleepless nights that come with it. What, you say you slept like a baby your third trimester? I don't want to hear about it. I usually get more sleep on-demand nursing a newborn than I get in my third trimester. Heartburn, pinched nerves, general aches and pains, contractions, ninja baby, hormones and overheating make it super hard to sleep fantastically.
Now to the story. She thought one day she would do something to earn a little extra money. "But what?" she asked herself. Then one other day she saw a super fun box of fabric that her sister-in-law had bought and said "I need one of those, too, just because it looks so fun." Her dear husband let her buy said box. She got the box, and it was like Christmas. And then she realized it was a lot of fabric, and some of it she knew she would never use. "Hmm, maybe I can sell some of it to other fabric hoarders like myself." Sure enough, it worked. Then she thought, "Instead of just selling the fabric for a couple bucks, maybe I could make something out of it and sell it for more." So she did. She made a tablerunner. And someone bought it and loved it.
And then she remembered that anytime there was a picture of a cute/trendy throw pillow on the internet everyone immediately wanted to know if it was for sell. "I think I'll make some throw pillows." So she did. And she learned how to hand stitch them closed. Luckily, she was born with a detail-oriented OCD like gene, and her hand stitching and her sewing was actually pretty darn good when she sat down to do it. She did once have the thought that she didn't really like sewing, but quickly brushed it out of her mind, because, darnit, this was a good idea.
Then she took more leftover fabric and casually asked if anyone would like something made out of it. They did. They bought more. But lots of people kept asking for other fabrics that she didn't have. "If only I had those fabrics," she said. Behold, the power of the Internet. She did have those fabrics, right at her fingertips, with free shipping if she ordered enough.
She casually put up a post on Facebook advertising custom throw pillows. Her message inbox quickly started getting tired. Pillows. Lots of pillows. And some tablerunners. And a couple tablecloths. Can she make 10 for a wedding in 2 weeks? Of course! What about pillow covers, can she make those, too? "Of course I can, how many do you want?" she replied. And then she thought, "Hmmm, I've never made a pillow cover before." Google. Practice. Yep. Pretty much the same as making the other stuff.
And then, before her very eyes, she had a lot of work to do. And she realized that she already had a full-time job taking care of two kids. But luckily she was pregnant, and her super power was not being able to sleep.
PS, want to know a secret? The pillows pictured weren't even finished when I took that picture and sold them. They are neither fully stuffed nor stitched shut. And sure, if you want some pillows I will make you some at my awesome loyal blog reader discount, but don't expect them to be done next week.

1 comment:
Lol! Kortney, you are awesome! Those pillows look awesome!
Post a Comment