Thursday, March 15, 2012

R.I.P.

Roxanne Nelson
1999-2012

 Yep, she died.

It finally happened. Wednesday I got a call from Ben while I was at Liberty Park with the kids and some friends for the day. He had decided to take the car out to lunch with some coworkers, and she died in the middle of the road. Funny enough, we're pretty sure the transmission didn't go out, but the fuel pump did. Rob and Kristi were nice enough to help us out, and Ben and Rob some how managed to tow it back to our parking lot themselves. 

I listed it on KSL (like a local Craigslist, in case you didn't hear about the dryer debacle). My phone didn't stop ringing for the rest of the evening. We're up to a $550 offer, with them towing it off. Probably can get more, but I don't know how long I want it sitting around (or how long it would take the apartment complex to notice... although I have a feeling it would be a pretty long time). Besides, since the car wasn't worth too much more than that when it was alive, I don't feel too cheated (if anyone who knows more about dead cars than me has something to say, please jump in at any time).

The real problem is that I was just really starting to enjoy having a car during the day. The weather has been beautiful this week.

Monday, Mindy, the kids and I went to get donuts. Then we thought we would be nice and deliver donuts to her mom and Ben (who both happen to work pretty close to the donut shop). While delivering donuts to Ben, we realized how close we were to the zoo. And I remembered that I have a membership and could get us all in free. So we spontaneously went to the zoo. The kids loved it. We loved it. We even had to take off our sweatshirts because it got so hot. 

Tuesday I had to take Korban to a doctor's appointment. Ok, that wasn't that fun. But it was nice that I didn't have to drive Ben to work and pick him up after to do it. I did get to grab lunch with Ben afterward, sans Kennady, thanks to Mindy. Then we stayed and played at Mindy's. Then we played outside. 

Wednesday, a group of moms from our apartments and all our kids headed to Tracy Aviary. Pretty fun, especially since it was $1 admission day. I would be pretty unhappy about paying $7 a person though, because it was fairly small and Kennady was disappointed they didn't have any talking birds. Then we had a picnic lunch and headed to the playground. We were having lots of fun until the second time Kennady got lost. 

Now before you assume I'm the worst parent ever, I'll explain. The big, nice, newer playground was under construction. So we were playing on the older one. Instead of having railing like most play equipment, it had big solid pieces of plastic for the sides. Which you can't see through. So unless your kid is taller than the sides, kids go in, and you can't see them until they come out one of the 8 sides, or through a couple spots. Not a fan. The first time she was just on another random slide in the play area, but the second she wandered quite a ways away. Neither one of us liked that. Hopefully now she understands that when she looks up and doesn't immediately see me, she should just stay there and I will find her. Either way, we'll be picking a different playground until she's taller. 

Today we spent nearly the entire day outside playing in the courtyard. Marvelous. Ben got to go to the Jazz game tonight, and I hear it was a good game (sorry, Mindy- who gave up her date night because she wasn't feeling well). 

And tomorrow it's supposed to rain. And then get cold. And it's supposed to snow on Monday. Boo. I want summer.

No comments: