Saturday, May 22, 2010

Lots of Vegetables

Well the week seemed to get a lot better after Wednesday, when I was no longer responsible for 2 extra children. Seriously, how do people ever have more than one kid? I'm thinking lots of cartoons and snacks. And, yes, I am pretty sure I did win the worst mother of the week award at some point this week. Thursday was my day off. Or as much as of a day off as you can have when you still have a kid.

Luckily my kid was bone tired from missing any semblance of a nap on Wednesday (Garrek was pretty determined that no one was going to sleep). So she took a long nap, and so did I. I did manage to make dinner, almost stuffed peppers, and it was yummy, and I think I was mostly forgiven by my husband for being a bum that day. And, wait, I did a load of laundry too. And then I sat on the couch for 2 hours watching tv and telling my husband to stop talking in the middle of my season finale.

Friday, however, I decided it was time to get things done. Much cleaning. Seriously, a lot. And I made Ben's father's day present. A nope, I can't tell you what it is yet, it's a surprise. And, my biggest accomplishment- I painted my toenails. It was wonderful. They are a beautiful shade of hot pink and it makes me think it is summer and not look quite so pasty. It, however, did not feel like summer outside. In fact, I avoided going outside, because it looked cold and I didn't want my toenails to be disappointed. I cleaned the kitchen, did all the dishes, and cleaned the living room. And then I made dinner. Lasagna Florentine, with lots of extra vegetables, because we had a lot in the fridge that were on the edge of death. When I was done with the lasagna, the kitchen was not a complete disaster, but instead very very clean. Wonderful. And that's around the time I won the award for best wife of the week. The living room, on the other hand, was disassembled, because I guess Kennady thought it looked too clean, or not like home or something.

Today an amazing thing happened. Kennady slept in. Unfortunately, we've come to rely on her as our alarm clock, so Ben was a little late to his 9 am study group, and I was a little rushed trying to get out the door to pick up my fruits and vegetables. We started getting a Bountiful Basket every week (we share it with the Seeleys). It's a basket of fruits and vegetables, lots of fruits and vegetables (like a laundry basket full) for $15. Awesomeness. The only thing that is a little scary is that you never know what you are going to get. Last week we got a bag of apples, oranges, mangoes, tomatoes, spinach, lettuce, a small watermelon, bananas, and green cauliflower. The cauliflower was the only thing that I couldn't figure out anything to do with. This week we got strawberries, apples, oranges, peaches, bananas, blackberries, lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, avocados, yellow squash and a coconut. Ben is super excited about the coconut. If you live in Arizona, Texas, Idaho, Utah, Washington, Wyoming or Nevada, you should try it. www.bountifulbaskets.org.

Tonight Ben and I had a hot date. We went to the library and watched a video about getting out of debt, so Ben could get his grant from the school. Funny thing is, we're not in debt. However, it provided us a wonderful opportunity to have a picnic in the library (which is strictly forbidden), something we haven't done since we were dating. In fact, I don't think I have set foot in the library since I graduated. As it should be probably.

Oh, yea, and did I mention that we had a blizzard today? Two really, with sunshine in between. It was crazy and I hated it. I mean, really, it's almost June. Why does it need to snow here? So much for our original plan to go to the zoo. Boo.

2 comments:

kaleen said...

Seriously Kortney- even though you get super busy and stressed, you are seriously an example to me! I don't have a kid yet and I can hardly keep the house clean or make anything to eat from scratch. It's quite sad. I'm going to try to do better this week! Lasagne Florentine?! That sounds amazing and fancy... compared to frozen potstickers! :( Blah. Anyway, please know that your hard work is appreciated, even through the internet!

P.S. I have heard so many great things about Bountiful Basket and I hope to try it soon!

Devon said...

For a daughter that never cooked before you left home and never cleaned her room- you are amazing!!! I am really proud of you! Love you!