Monday, April 5, 2010

Off the Deep End

It’s finally happened. I’ve gone crazy. If you don’t believe me ask my husband, or my daughter, or my freezer full of Hot Pockets.

I’ve turned into on of those crazy coupon clipping mothers with the screaming child in the cart who takes way too much time in the checkout line. I know, I am annoying. But see, I like to shop, and we’re on a budget, so that means I need to find super good deals on things, so I can continue to eat lots of meat, because it’s expensive. I think this all started when I found that really good deal on Hot Pockets, but had to buy a ridiculous amount of them to get the good deal. So I did, because Ben is always in need of lunches/breakfasts, and he’s not too picky, and as an added bonus I think he actually likes Hot Pockets. And so do I.

Then I discovered the insane world of coupon blogging. People, who are crazier than I am, go through even more trouble to blog about great deals they find. I browse through these blogs and steal their ideas. Really, they all just steal each other’s idea, and a lot of them even make money doing it. I could do this, but eh, sounds like too much work. So this along with a growing mound of coupons and a littering of store ads, and I am set.

In order for this to work it means I must to go several different stores, and usually at least once a week. Luckily, I don’t have much else better to do (uh, ok, better, sure, more cost efficient, probably not). The hardest part is remembering to buy only the things that I need, and not just the ridiculously good deals. I did fail at that this last week, unless you call Easter candy a need (and I might…especially Peanut Butter M&M’s).

Kennady hates this whole process. She hates shopping and she is terrible every time we go. Unless we go to Broulim’s where she can push the tiny carts, or Albertson’s where she can ride in the big car, as I try to steer the enormous thing down the tiny aisles. Oh, yes, and she likes the cookies at both of those stores. Usually by the end of my shopping I can only think about how crazy I must be to put myself through this kind of torture. I just need to find more creative ways to keep Kennady happy at the store (looking at fish is a good one, but it forces me to stay in one place).

This week is especially crazy because Kmart is doubling coupons, but only 5 a day, so I’m going to be making several extra trips this week. But I really like getting free stuff and saving tons of money. I’ve saved $130 this month already (and not all of that was Easter candy), including some of the free things I’ve gotten, like 2 My Little Ponies for Kennady’s Easter basket.

Oh yeah, and this week is crazy because it’s finals week for Ben. I think he may also have gone off the deep end. But his is probably only temporary. Last night he exclaimed that his entire future hinged on his upcoming Biochemistry test (which is taking as a type). And you thought only girls could be melodramatic. Pretty much I’ll just be happy in 5 days when the worst semester ever is finally over.

1 comment:

janaemadsen said...

you got a free my little pony? Maybe I need to start couponing. I gave it up with baby number two. Grocery stores are evil with children!