Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Old, the New, the Exciting and the Unexpected

Well first with the old. The sun. I love sunshine - in the daytime. It is very hard to sleep with glaring sunlight shining in on your face. And pregnant ladies need sleep or they get very grouchy. We tried covering our window with aluminum foil, but we didn't have enough to cover the entire thing. A half covered window is worse than not covered at all, because the foil reflects any light that is let in. Luckily, my awesome husband sacrificed his blanket and made us an immovable curtain. Now I can finally get some sleep. (Don't worry, he still has one blanket).

Another thing that is getting old- lack of communication. We've both been stressed this week because BYU-Idaho can't seem to communicate. There is still much confusion with the internship. We got an e-mail on Monday telling us to pack our bags and be out of here in a week. I think we have talked them out of that, but this seems to be a never-ending story. Hopefully it will all get straightened out for good in the next week or so (I am not going to hold my breath.)

The new. This week the weather has been looking up. After the much despised snow, the weather finally took a hint from my anger and warmed up a little. Sunday night (around 9:30, although the sun was still shining as bright as ever) Ben and I went for a long walk on the beach. We collected shells (the shells here are itty bitty, not what I was hoping for) and lots of cool rocks. I thought we would start a rock garden in our living room as some sort of decoration. And, hey, it's free. We then found out that the rocks don't look as cool when they aren't wet, so we have a big pile of rocks on our bathroom counter.
Last night after going to the grocery store at 9:30 (the sun really messes up your schedule) as we were pulling into our parking lot, we saw a giant bird sitting in the RV lot on the edge of the bluff. Ben jumped out of the car and started sneaking towards the bird. I parked and then followed. Ben got really close to this monster before it moved, it was probably 3 feet tall. Then it started flying about 4 feet above him, in a circle, which was pretty frightening for a bird with a 7 ft. wingspan. I thought it was going to eat Ben. Then, two more giant birds showed up, and I realized that this monster bird was a young bald eagle. It's a good thing Ben didn't get too close to the bird, or that it didn't attack him, because there are some pretty hefty fines for messing with the national bird. And I don't think anyone would had believed that he harmed the bird in self defense when it attacked him. It was a pretty impressive sight. I didn't take the picture, I didn't have my camera, but that is what it looked like (only it was bigger).

Yesterday we also went in for our second doctor's appointment. It was exciting. We were only there for maybe 10 minutes. But we got to hear the little heartbeat again. 154 beats a minute and very loud. The midwife said it was indicative of a girl. I still think it's a boy. Our baby is very cooperative, I hope it continues. The midwife said I'm not measuring large anymore, so the due date is November 5. I'm having this kid on November 4, because then I feel like I have a good excuse for not voting, as I am not excited about any of the candidates. This agitates Ben. I should vote, but it's like placing a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a bologna sandwich in front of me and asking which one I would like for lunch. I would rather skip lunch and wait for dinner if those are my only options. I am a picky eater. Anyways, we are doing the ultrasound around 21 weeks, at the end of June. I think I might go insane waiting that long. I think they should be able to tell at 17 weeks, but she assures me that they can't. I just hope the baby will cooperate then so we can find out if it is a boy or a girl and stop calling it it.

And now for the unexpected. Ben got me to drink milk. For those of you who don't know me well, I hate milk and never drank it even when I was little. I eat my cereal dry. Ben seemed to think I would like strawberry milk, and I thought I might as well try it, because I really want to make sure I am getting enough calcium and I hate tums and all other calcium supplements. Much to my surprise, I didn't just tolerate strawberry milk, I liked it. And I had a glass for breakfast this morning. I think my mother would have appreciated this information 20 years ago. I still think I will eat my cereal dry.

1 comment:

janaemadsen said...

John really likes strawberry quick mix, so he can have strawberry milk any time. I just wanted to say that I love your new background- where did you find it? I like it so much- good job.