Yep, we made it, alive, and mostly happy. The trip was great! The kids were really good travelers and we had a lot of fun and loved seeing our family. The only bad part of the trip: Sunday night I came down with a cold, and then got on an airplane late Monday/early Tuesday. Now it's a sinus infection and an ear infection. Luckily, I had a dr's appointment already scheduled for today (we got in about midnight last night), so I've got some antibiotics and should be feeling well again soon.
There won't be any pictures this post. But I'll do a post soon that will be only pictures, and you can look at them together if it makes you feel better.
Our crazy adventure started three weeks ago today. Ben, the kids and I loaded the car and drove the 12 hours to Oregon. It took us 15 hours to get there, but we made it in before too late. The next day Kristal married Kevin in the Portland temple. We were so happy to be there! We spent all day doing wedding things with the reception that night. We had fun, but it was a long day for the kids. Saturday we packed up all the kids and headed to the beach. Of course, it was rainy, but not too cold. We had a bonfire on the beach and roasted hot dogs and marshmallows. The kids LOVED getting to play on the beach with their cousins and we all returned sufficiently dirty (I'm STILL finding sand). Sunday we had church with the family, naps, and popcorn and ice cream, and Grandpa even got out the electric train for all the grandkids. We had fun being together (except Kristal and Kevin who'd already left to get back to school).
Monday morning Ben and I parted ways :( He rode back to Utah with his sister Marlene and her husband Kaman. Those of us who stayed that day had lots of fun riding the carousel, playing at the park, and launching rockets. Tuesday I did laundry and packed while the kids got some fun time playing with their uncles at the park. That night (or early the next morning) we boarded a 3 1/2 hour flight to Dallas. The kids were fantastic. The only trouble we had was deplaning. I set Korban down to grab a bag out of the overhead bin and he took off. All the way out of the plane. I thought the flight attendants would stop him. But no. He kept going. I told Kennady to go get her brother, and tackle him if she needed too (because I knew she could weave between people a lot faster than I could, especially with all our bags). They made it all the way up the ramp before Kennady got him.
It was 6 am Texas time when my grandpa picked us up. The kids slept the whole flight, but I had a much harder time sleeping. They were pretty wide awake and Kennady was confused about where nighttime went. We spent the day napping and playing in the backyard and the park. It was a beautiful 85 degrees and we loved it. That night my cousin Brooke came and picked us up and we spent the night at her place.
Thursday, Brooke and I took all of our kids to the children's aquarium and had a picnic lunch. We discovered Mickey Mouse cheese. We had pizza and movie night. The kids had a great time playing together.
Friday, my Aunt Tina drove us up to Checotah, Oklahoma, the hometown of Carrie Underwood, and the halfway point between Dallas and Branson. Mom met us there and we had lunch at a little diner. Mom drove us the rest of the way to Branson, where the kids were very excited to see the cat, and Grandpa. Saturday we'd originally planned to go canoeing, but since it was freezing cold and had snowed, we canceled that. We spent the day playing at Grandma's and taking it easy. Mica came over with her kids for a little while.
Sunday we went to church with the family and then everyone came over for dinner. The kids thought it was great. Kennady and Jovie were the best little friends. Kennady jumped off the top bunk, landed on Jovie, and nearly knocked a tooth out. It's still a little loose, but seems to be doing ok.
Monday we spend a little more time playing with cousins, naps, and then headed to the park. My kids love being outside and I'm happy for warmer weather! Tuesday we went to the Imax and watched a movie about trains. Korban thought it was the best thing ever. "Train, train, choo choo!" was what he kept saying over and over for the hour of the movie. Then we headed to the park for a picnic with cousins. It was hot! But still great. On our way out, the kids got to tour a school bus. That's very excited for a 2 and 4 year old. That night we played the traditional game of mini golf and got Andy's frozen custard.
Wednesday, Mom and I took the kids to an indoor water park. They didn't love it as much as we thought they would. They wanted to swim. There's really not a pool there, but a treehouse that dumps water everywhere (which Kennady hated). They did come to love the lazy river and we had some fun swimming in the warm tubs (hot tubs for the kids?). Korban was totally worn out and fell asleep eating a peanut butter sandwich before we even left. That night I headed up to Springfield and went to a bonfire with some old friends. It was fun, but, man, I must be old and pregnant, because come midnight I turned into a pumpkin and went home.
Thursday, Mica, the girls and I headed to Silver Dollar City. Korban and Easton got to stay with Grandma. We had fun riding rides. I even rode a roller coaster. It was awesome. We were very tired when that day was done.
Friday, Mom, Dad, the kids and I squeezed in the car and drove the 7 1/2 (turned 10) hours to Fort Worth. The kids were good, but I was a little smooshed between their carseats. Saturday we took the kids to the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History, and they loved it! We got to go with my aunt Trudie, my Aunt April, and April's boys. They had a dino dig and a water play area. Korban stood squirting the water gun for 20 minutes without moving. I guess we'll be playing with the hose a lot this summer. Then we went and rode the miniature train around the zoo/park. Korban, of course, thought it was awesome! At one point we moved seats and Korban had a meltdown because he thought we were getting off the train. We had a BBQ with family that night.
Sunday we took family pictures and took my Aunt Trudie to the airport. We went over to my Aunt Cheryl and Uncle Mike's for lasagna that night and then to check out my cousin Matt's house. Monday, mom and I went and got pedicures before they left for home. Then Cheryl and Lindsey (Matt's wife) came and picked us up and we went to lunch and then to Sweet Sammies (where they heap Blue Belle ice cream between two cookies). Yum! We took naps and then Cheryl took us to the airport. They let her through security to help us, which was fantastic. We boarded a plane around 10:30 and flew back to Oregon. The kids slept through the flight again, and I did not. My cold exploded and I was pretty miserable for 3 1/2 hours. Dad Nelson picked us up from the airport (at 1 am!) and we headed back for some much needed sleep. We spent the next day playing and sleeping. Wednesday we got in the car, with Abe and Wendy, and drove the 12 hours back. Having extra helpers in the car made the drive go a lot faster, and we made it back in 13 hours. Everyone mostly happy, and me super sick, but all of use before midnight (just barely).
So our trip was great! A giant thanks to all the people who made it possible by housing us, feeding us, taxiing us, and clothing us! And we are tired. 7,000 plus miles. Car, train and plane. Over 58 hours of travel time. Minimal crying and some severe heartburn. We were very happy to return home to Daddy and a very, very clean house!
I had my ultrasound and a drs appointment this morning. Baby Boy is doing great. Long femur and a small head (so he's related to my other 2 kids). He's measuring a little smaller than the other were at this point, but not enough to change my due date (except that it's Sept. 22, not the 23rd, because someone told me wrong?). I finally gained some weight! The recommended plus the 5 pounds I usually gain when I go home (courtesy of some really good food). And I got the drugs to clear up my sinus infection/ear infection. Do adults get ear infections? Well, I have one. Sometime I'd like to sleep more than 2 hours at a time, but I may be decades away from that.
PS, we still don't have a name for Baby Boy. Well, we have a middle name ______ Kevin Nelson will be his name. We just have to fill in the blank, and I highly doubt we will do that until after he is born.
No comments:
Post a Comment